Port forwarding and router/modem problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambparade

Beta member
Lately I have been trying to port forward my router so I can host my own dedicated servers for games. I have gone through the steps of finding the port number, Loging into router settings, and adding the port number to the correct areas. After all my attempts I still have not been able to fully open my ports. I know this because when I run a port checker tool it says "Port 25565 is closed". Although I have read that a Stactic ip is required to port forward, I do not have one and I would have to purchase one because lots of computers connect wirelessly to my router.

Heres a list of the actions I did when it came to port forwarding.

Inserted correct port number in router settings
disabled both windows firewall and router firewall
disabled windows defender and spybot search and destroy.
connected to router via ethernet connection
ran [url]http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/[/URL] to check for opened ports.

Now when it comes to the problem with the static ip. From the my reasearch static ips are required to port forward a router because with out a consistant ip you will not be able to consistanlty have open ports. But considering my ip changes every 2 weeks or so..... would it be possible to have to port open for two weeks without any diffculty? or without an static ip is it just immpossible to open ports.

Another idea I had was connecting my computer directly to my modem. Considering my modem is right next to my computer would it possible to just connect the router and the computer sepratly to the modem? from what I have noticed the Cisco modem only has one ethernet port. is there any nifty cord I could use to connect both (computer and router) to the modem with one jack? Or is the whole idea connecting to the modem stupid.

I need to router to alow wireless connections through out my home because of the many users.

Thanks in advance

Some specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
Linskys router
Cisco Modem

you can host servers without a static ip, i do it on minecraft. But when your ip cahnges you have to edit your port forwarding rule which isnt really too much hassle :)

Cant really help much else with your problem, all i do is put in my the ip for my pc and set 25565 as the start and ending port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom