Pop Quiz!!!

Your CMOS could be corrupted, try resetting it.

Also, reseat everything.

There could be a short somewhere. You used the standoffs on the motherboard, right? I don't think it would power on at all then though.

for all myh computer repairs i have ever done andthats alot i have never had a board post beeps before.

Unless you install the pizeo speaker and have the polarity correct, you won't get post beeps. All my systems beep once when running through bootup. I can tell if there's a problem just by listening to the beeps.
As for this system there's a method for discovering what's wrong.

To start disconnect all drives. If your system has onboard video switch to that and pull all of the cards. Take the ram down to one stick and have it in the slot next to the cpu. That's normally slot 0.
Fire it up.
If the mother board is good and because there are not any devices connected to it, it should boot to the BIOS. If good power down and proceed to next step. If still unresponsive check:
Stand offs. You'd be surprised how many builders forget those. Got to have them.
Aux power plug. That 4 pin square plug with 2 yellow and 2 black wires going to it. That that aux power for the cpu. Forget to plug that in and most boards won't boot or boot correctly.
Jumpers. If you have them, double check them. One out of place can cause you grief.
Ok let's try it again. Fire it up. If you make it to the bios default every little flipping thing. Get it going now, tweak later.
Let's assume you got it going.
Shut her down and pull the plug from the wall. Press and hold the case power button for a few seconds.
Connect the drives next. Don't forget to plug in their power cords.
Plug the psu back in the wall and fire it up again. Since there is no OS on the drive it will go back to the bios. If good then shut down and add the memory and pci cards back in.
Put your OS disc in the optical drive and fire this puppy up. Oh, you have to use a paperclip in the drive to get the drawer open if the power's off. You may want to put it in the drive before you shut down from the previous step.
If it reads the disc then you're in business.
If not get on the phone to whomever you got it from and test their hearing.
Good hunting. Just remember> It's always some thing simple...

Back
Top Bottom