poker player in need of a career

databrain9000

Beta member
<table id="post39238963" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_39238963" style="border-right: 0px solid #CACACA"> I'm 27 years old. I've got almost zero work experience due to playing poker full-time for many years. I do pretty well so I'm not hurting financially and I don't need a job at the moment. I'd much rather pay extra money and get more higher education than earn certificates and take a really low paying help desk job.

I've got a bachelors degree in marketing which does not interest me (not enough depth, not technical enough, too many irrational co-workers). I've been thinking of going back to school and getting a masters in management and information systems. I should be able to get into the program as it's just a state-school and I had a good GPA in undergrad. Of course, I may have to take a few classes prior to being admitted.

I'm not too interested in programming, but I understand I will have to develop some skills. Job fields that have peaked my interest are data scientist (big data), database admin, intelligence/security analyst,

My questions:
1 - is this a good plan to go about my career change?
2- what IT jobs should I be looking for? I'm interested in ideas, big picture thinking, analysis, and creative problem solving. I'm not a math or stats wizard, but I possess good logic and reasoning skills.

Thanks for any tips you guys can give me!
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

1. You are at least going about it the right way. If possibly you should be getting your BS or Masters at an accredited 4 year institution. I'll probably get slammed for this, but stay away from places like Phoenix Online and the like. They are convenient but a lot of employers won't hold degrees from places like that in high regard like they would from any state or private school. Ohio State or Akron probably have very good programs that allow you to do most of your schooling online minus testing. One relative of mine got his BS from Mizzou, then was able to do 95% of his masters from USC (obviously good school) and did all courses online minus the tests and a few night classes.

2. Do what you enjoy. Considering you are going to get your Masters you will have plenty of experience in all areas of IT. I was an IT major for 3 years and within the 12 or so classes i took that were IT related, i had a mix of Java and VB programming as well as networking. You will have the opportunity to take multiple classes within different IT fields. I'd suggest your first few semesters getting a variety of classes under your belt so you can get a feeling of what you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom