Please tell a Noob why He would ever want to dual boot?

Juan handed

In Runtime
I have 2 fairly new laptops with almost no files that are critical (like data,pics,music,etc.) to back up.

I currently have Vista as the OS.

Please tell me what the advantages it would be to have Ubuntu on there also and what specs,hardware wise I would need.

And how much time would I put in configuring it?

Hi,

I will tell you why you would want to do a dual boot from the outlook of someone who has been using linux for a little while. The first reason I would want to using it is that linux is FREE. The other reason is that you will be learning a lot when you using linux whether you use it twice a month, twice a week, or twice a day you will be learning new things, and there is nothing wrong with learning.

As for configuring linux, the install will take about 12 to 15 minutes. You don't have to configure anything inside Ubuntu itself if you don't want to. The GUI works perfectly fine the way it is, but it is all up to you to how much configuring you do.

Other than that I don't really know what you want to know or want to hear. So gives us your questions and we will spit back answers.

Cheers!

Hi,

Other than that I don't really know what you want to know or want to hear. So gives us your questions and we will spit back answers.

Cheers!

The dual boot seems to be a popular thing to do with those in the forum.I am trying to understand the practical uses and advantages of having 2 OSs. If say you have used only Windows,what would be the advantage of having another OS available to you.What are the circumstances(other than in the name of curiosity and learning) that you say,"for this problem or project,I must use Ubuntu."

Juan handed said:
"for this problem or project,I must use Ubuntu."

First I never said that you have to use ubuntu. I don't even use ubuntu, there are a lot of reason but that is a different topic.

I feel one of the great reasons that I have made a complete switch to using Linux is that I don't have to worry about spyware, malware, adware, etc. I don't ever have to by software again. Anything that I want I can find for free, it might be a slightly different program than the windows equivalent but they do the same things, and that is what I care about.

I am not really sure what else to write here, I am used to getting questions, so I hope I am helping you if not please try and give me some directions and I will find some information for you.

Cheers!

First I never said that you have to use ubuntu. I don't even use ubuntu, there are a lot of reason but that is a different topic.
I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the most popular Linux version(?)

I feel one of the great reasons that I have made a complete switch to using Linux is that I don't have to worry about spyware, malware, adware, etc. I don't ever have to by software again. Anything that I want I can find for free, it might be a slightly different program than the windows equivalent but they do the same things, and that is what I care about.

I understand the free part and the spyware/malware thing.Both very important,I thought there was much more I was failing to understand.I was thinking that having two OSs would be a good troubleshooting tool,to see if a device,like a router or something reacted differently on different OSs.

I am not really sure what else to write here, I am used to getting questions, so I hope I am helping you if not please try and give me some directions and I will find some information for you.Cheers!

Maybe I should ask the question in reverse....if you have Linux,why would you consider having another OS available to you?

And is there any hardware considerations for having 2 OSs,like HDD or whatever?

The current trend in the PC software is that we are slowly moving from desktop software applications to the applications on the web.

The only good reason to go with the Microsoft OS such as Vista or W7, is because, we still rely much of buisness applications (such as word processors) and Gaming Softwares on them.

Therefore, a person who uses PC for mostly web surfing and web applications would benefit from a OS which is more efficient and has less virus targeting to wreck the PC system...namely, the Mac (Snow Leopard OS) or Linux.

Although I have to say, although, much of what I've just mentioned is based on facts, theoretically, W7 also has anti-virus softwares to protect the PC.

I would try out linux though, just for the sake of trying new things like the above post.

I use a dual boot system. Two seperate hard drives each installed with XP Pro.

I've got lots of audio production software, virtual instruments and dynamics/processor plugins that I have installed on one drive with a streamlined XP Pro installation. Ethernet ports disabled, classic theme, etc. Strictly all resources devoted to audio production.

My second drive has my second OS install. Anti-virus, nice theme and internet access. This install is for my online activity.

I tinkered with boot.ini to re-label the options I get at start up, Studio and Internet, and the jobs done!

And i'll add a Linux distro for a triple boot set up once I fully understand the 'grub'. To have the whole lot on one drive, under one OS just would be un-practical and un-productive. Thats why I dual boot.

Juan handed said:
good troubleshooting tool,to see if a device,like a router or something reacted differently on different OSs.

Hi,

I will try and answer these questions, as they haven't been posed to me in a very long time.

I think that troubleshooting can be a very good reason to have a second OS. Something you will find though is that the OS is to blame and not the hardware, there will be times when you are testing hardware like wireless routers that you can't connect to it on Linux but can on windows. However, others that have the exact setup as you will be able to connect just fine.

Juan handed said:
...if you have Linux,why would you consider having another OS available to you?

This is the hardest question for me. The reason being is that once I have my Linux OS set up the way that I want it I don't really have a reason to go back to my Windows OS. I use Linux virtually exclusively for everything from web browsing and checking email, to watching movies, and writing web pages. So, if I was to go back it would be solely to play games. Linux doesn't really play games very well.

I guess that is what I have to say about that. Sorry if I am not very helpful maybe some others can help you more that use Linux less and windows more.

Cheers!

Hi,

It depends on the size of your current hdd, and how often you plan on using linux. I would recommend 30-40GB if you can afford that much space. It is all based on how much space you have left on your hdd.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom