Please Help !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnclift

Beta member
right 3 days ago i got a new graphics card (ati x1900xt )
some new ram(2x 1gb ddr2 ram)
and a new mother board(asus P5WD2-E)

heres a list on what happends:

installed all new componats all fits perfect.didnt format xp

turnt it on got to xp loading screen the one with the loading bar.and freezes every time.

so i fort it was a temp problem so got a new fan and stuck it on the cpu opened the side panel and left it open.but kept freezing.so that wasent the problem.

so i figured it must be a software problem.

so tryed to format my hdd. loaded the windows cd and i freezes on starting windows .so i cant even get into the format menu.

some one please help.thanks alot

clear the CMOS put 1 stick of ram in (to start) and if it's compatible put your old video card back in to start... see if that loads... If it does then finish all that.. then after all the updates are done.... clear out al your video drivers and install the new card... let the system setup the card... then up date the ATI driver with the latest ones..

if none of the above helps, clear CMOS and try to re-format... if it wasn't posting I was looking towards un-compatability, but as this is posting I have a feeling its just old drivers clashing with new ones or some thing like this.... maybe a chipset driver or old video cards.. this could easily happen.

-Jo.

well the fact that XP would not load is not a symptom of this issue as that will happen basically anytime you swap a motherboard.

any chance your hdd is a seagate? i'm not familiar with the specifics of the issue but i think several of the more regular posters here are. i have heard of something like this (the freezing during format) to do with i think Asus boards and particular models of seagate drives.

there are plenty of other possibilities including loose cables such as the 4 pin power cable or ide cable (although normally accompanied by garbled text on screen)

actually i guess the most likely problem is you have a SATA drive and have forgotten to install the drivers for the SATA controller on your new motherboard. it didn't come to me first because i haven't seen this problem for a while

XP will not install with all that new hardware without a complete re-install. The fact that it will not run setup makse me think that you may have a bad stick of RAM. Pull all the RAM but one stick and try to see if you can't get that HD to format and begin to install windows. Try this with each stick of RAM separately. Can you get into the BIOS?

Clear CMOS, reformat and try reinstalling windows. I know it's a chore, but it's ALOT easier than unistalling EVERY driver from your old stuff than reinstalling them after a few of restarts.

Rico, lol i always thought ur avatar was an eye, i was WAY off, a bunny. :)

Ridlyn said:
Clear CMOS, reformat and try reinstalling windows. I know it's a chore, but it's ALOT easier than unistalling EVERY driver from your old stuff than reinstalling them after a few of restarts.

Rico, lol i always thought ur avatar was an eye, i was WAY off, a bunny. :)

Rabbit with a pancake for a hat!!:p

well good news is i found the problem it was my hard drive it must have been all the drivers clashing and was just confusing its self .so now im trying to refomat my hard drive. and my hard drive is a samsung.thanks alot for your help guys .i will keep you informed if it works ok. :)

Glad to hear it has helped you

Heh heh heh, it was my suggestion! I Beat'cha all to it rofl..

Kiddin,

-Jo.

bad news .i formatted my hdd so theres absoulutly nothing on there try to reinstall windows xp got to the ''starting up windows'' bit and yup you guessed it crash.

so i put my bros hdd in and it did the exact same thing so now im guessing it aint my hard drive.

it cant be my ram cus in bios it reads it fine same as my cpu and graphics card.

b4 i formatted my hard drive i got in to windows like 5 random times ,ran some games all fine .

but now i cant do anything.i really cant think of anything else.

any more ideas?

thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom