Please help with video card problems

rushdude

Solid State Member
Please help with video driver problems

Here is my situation. I am not really a hard core gamer, I only play games like madden, nhl, doom3, and such. My computer is an Hp pavilliion. It has a p4 processor at 3.06 ghz, 512 ram, big hdd, 288 watt power supply. It came with intregrated graphics and for the past year and a half it has done the job for me until I bought nhl 06 and it wasnt compatible with intel cards so I was forced the buy a new video card. I started to do a little research to find that my computer didnt have an agp slot or pci express so that left me to buy a new mobo or a pci video card. I decided to go with a pci video card and ordered a nvidia geforce fx 5700le from newegg. They no longer make these so I had to buy a refurbished version.

I got the card today. I unpacked it. I than booted up my computer dis-abled the intregrated card and shut the computer down. I than removed the side panel to install the video card. I power the computer on still connected the intregrated graphics so that I could swith from onboard the pci graphics in the bios part, after I switch I than plug the the monitor into the card. The first screen that comes up is a black screen that has my card info than I wait and it goes to load windows. When it gets to the sign in the picture is horrible. There is multiple transparent red lines. The resolution is horrible in windows and the lines continue after signing in. When I get to windows after signing in I decide to download the newest driver from the interet. The download goes fine until the very last part where my computer reboots itself. I dont know why. The installaion did work once but than I had a program crash which caused me to reset comp and I had to start over.

I am now back on intregrated using the comp and it is frustrating considering I just paid 80 dollars to be able to play newer games and not be able to. Any help would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks, Jim

maybe ur definittion of newer games and playable is different but a pci 5700le isnt going to cut it for long. i would maybe try a different pci slot

Ok, will try a different slot tomorrow. I will eventually get a new mobo and get a amd 64 processor when I get the money.

hmm, it shouldnt do that.. did you try going to settings and changing the resolution? and make sure you get the correct driver, VERy important.. shouldnt do that though.. i feel bad for you , if you spend 80 bux and that sH1t happens

it could well be the card! if it is a refurbished one it might be screwed from the start.
woz

So did u ever manage to fully install the new drivers?

If not then swich the resolution to the lowest u can, prolly something like 640x???. Then try running it with the new card. Then install the drivers and once u have the drivers installed then reboot, and then change the resolution to the one u want.

The problem is that without drivers the cards can't run high resolutions.
And that card will be perfect for nhl 2006.

I am going to try a new pci slot now. I could probably install the new drivers first than hook it up the the card. I will let you's know how it works.

Ok, I tried it on a different pci slot and with daemons instructions and had the same results. I cannot get the drivers to install. My system reboots itself in the middle of the installation. It also does this when I try to install the drivers from the cd. Its fine other than the crappy resolution and the red lines at first. One thing that does happen is that windows warns me about the drivers not being tested with windows xp's compatibility and asks if I want to continue. Is there a feature on xp that reboots the comp when it is in possible danger that I could dis-able temporarily? That is the only thing that I can think of.

Another thing that i noticed that when I first boot up the comp with the new card there is an all black screen with white letters that say:
nvidia fx 5700le bios xdn
version 4.and some other numbers
128 ram

The version that I am trying to download is 6.and some other numbers, could this be the problem. I also tried installing the drivers on the intregrated card and it worked and did not reboot. Any help is appreciated.

After a few more trys I have come to the conclusion that it is not the card and it is something with my computer that I dont know how to fix or dis able or something. When on the new card everything is fine, the red lines go away if I switch to 1024 resolution. I just cant get the drivers to install, the computer reboots while downloading. I have called HP and they said that it is out of their boundaries. I will give microsoft a call tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

Back
Top Bottom