Please help me share my broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenzy

Solid State Member
Well.. I am clueless to what I need to share my high speed with the desktop downstairs in the living room.
All I really want to do is just share the internet. Sharing files, printers, etc..etc.. is not really needed at this time. Just the internet service.

I am currently running a laptop, P3 with XP pro through comcast cable modem.
The comp. downstairs is a desktop, P4 with XP home and is currently using dial up.
Both comp. are USB ready.

I'm not sure if a wireless router is all I will need, but if someone can point me to the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Also, are there any downsides to sharing?

Jay

Aside from the wireless router you will need to have wireless network cards or wireless USB adapters for each of your computers. your laptop would use a wireless PC card instead of a PCI card.

make sure your wireless standard for the wireless network adapters are compatible with your wireless router. there are only 2 kinds for consumers: 802.11B which max out at 11Mbps and 802.11G which is up to 54Mbps. G is usually backwards compatible with B..... if it is go with the best deal.

You are going to want to get a wireless router and a wireless USB adapter for your desktop. I recommend moving your high speed connection to your desktop so you can connect with your laptop from anywhere in the house. If you choose to do this, you are going to need a wireless notebook adapter instead of the wireless usb adapter. And as long as you have a good firewall (which most wireless base stations do) there aren't many downs to sharing. What I would do is create a folder named shared and put any files that you want to share in there because you never want to share your whole hard drive.

Since one of the computers is a laptop, wireless is probably the best way to go... Unless it is a desktop laptop...

Could you string an ethernet (cat5e) cable between them (* i know that depends on the layout of the house. . . *)
If you do pull a wire though, make sure you pull two --- just incase you need to xpand later.....

One plus here is that you only need 2 of the 4 pairs of wires for your enet connection --- the other 2 pair can be used for phone lines....

ekÆsine's post is going to be the easiest route for you. You will need to purchase a wireless router and then 2 wireless adapters for your PC and laptop. The easiest way to do this is to buy two USB wireless adapters. But, just like the post states, make sure that you purchase all 802.11b hardware or all 802.11g hardware.

-Mike

I reread the earlier posts a few times and I believe they are all saying you should get wireless adapters for both the portable and PC. If I have misunderstood, please ignore the following.

You probably have an ethernet port on your computer already. If you place the wireless router near the PC you can hardwire the PC and save on the adapter for that machine. I have four hardwired PCs in a bedroom and just the portable roams the house wirelessly.

Thanks alot guys..
I went with all netgear products.
2 USB adapters, and b cable router.
Everything is working wonderfully.

Thanks.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom