Piggy-backing computers to access internet

skh07600

Beta member
My laptop has a wireless card, my desktop does not. I would like my desktop to have wireless internet but I am too poor to buy another wireless card.

Can I somehow use the laptop to give my desktop internet?

(This is only a temporary situation so no flack about how electricity costs will override all else)

you will need a cross over cable
its not a standard cat5 cable it allows 2 pc to be connected without needing a router
with both pcs connected and on
set up a new network on your lappy (im assuming this is in XP for some reason i cant think of) and make sure that you allow other pcs to have access to the internet through the lappy
then on your desktop you need to set up a new network
and tell it that it will be getting the internet from a different pc
and it should work
ive done it before with 2 xp machines
but the more you can tell us the better we can answer
oh btw for a good cheap crossover cable: click me, im only $1.13 for 5ft

just hook up a ethernet cord to your laptop to your pc. Not sure if you have windows xp or 7 but it's usually really simple. Go to your network connections -> highlight both wireless connection and local area connection -> Right click one of those -> Then click bridge connections. That simple. I use to get my friends to do that with there laptop to xbox so they didn't have to pay for a 100$ wireless device for it

Connect the two nics together then bridge the nic with the wireless adapter in windows. if at least 1 of the nics support auto-mdix you can either use a crossover or a straight threw ethernet cable. If however, neither support auto-mdix then you must use a crossover.

One thing that I've found that I needed to do was open Network Connections, hold CTRL and select both network cards. Right click one and select Bridge Connection. This is something that I did in Windows XP, but I expect it would be the same in Windows Vista and 7.

no need to bridge the connections you can just use ICS or internet connection sharing and there is no need for a cross over cable you can use any ethernet cord you have laying around for it. in win 7 just go to network and sharing center then click change adaptor settings then right click your wireless adaptor and click sharing tab then enable ics checkbox hit ok then attach the ethernet cable and your done

no need to bridge the connections you can just use ICS or internet connection sharing and there is no need for a cross over cable you can use any ethernet cord you have laying around for it. in win 7 just go to network and sharing center then click change adaptor settings then right click your wireless adaptor and click sharing tab then enable ics checkbox hit ok then attach the ethernet cable and your done

1)This thread is dead.
2)Bridging works better and is easier to setup than internet sharing.
3)You do need a cross over cable if neither ethernet port supports auto-mdix.

Back
Top Bottom