Picking a Laptop (Like so many others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandax

Beta member
Me and my wife live in Middle TN and plan to mix both shopping online and in stores to get the best option for us. We have done much looking so far and have come up with a few definite and a few wants. We have a baby on the way and need to downsize our computer desktop space so that's the reason were moving to a laptop.

Definite:
Price range of 600-800
-Windows 7 (sorry no apples)
-15"-16.9" screen
-Leaning towards 6GB can be 8 But only if its in the price range
-i5 or better processor (or comparable AMD i have no loyalty to anyone but my wallet)
-processor needs to be a quad core
-It needs dedicated graphics, but I have no idea what discrete means when in reference to it. We would only play free2play games with high end specs such as League of Legends, Dota 2, and then possibly two more extensive will be Star Wars the Old Republic, and Diablo 3. (I hope that's some good examples)
-Battery life needs to be 4 hours at least.
-Need this to last for Mediocre gaming for at least 3 years, we're hoping for 6 but I do understand its a laptop and that won't happen in my price range
-Needs an HDMI output

Wants
-I would like to play on High settings for the games but budget is more important
-HD does not need to be huge, we have a 1TB external for movies music and pictures, I would dare to say that even 500GB is OK, smaller wouldn't be to harsh either
-All the quick start-up options are not necessary, we don't have a small business or need to present anything on the go
-DvD drive only, dont need a blu-ray.

So i know were specific but with all that looking I've come up with a few choices and am looking for suggestions.

Newegg.com - ASUS A53SV-NH51 Notebook Intel Core i5 2430M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 640GB HDD 5400rpm DL DVD±RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Both are near identical from what i see, What sets them apart?
Acer 15.6&#0148, Intel&#0174 Core i5-2430M, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 - LX.RHJ02.172 / AS5830TG-6614 / AS5830TG6614

Whys the best buy one so cheap, whats the difference?
HP - 15.6" Pavilion Laptop - 6GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive - Dark Umber - dv6-6c35dx

Whys this one 100 dollars cheaper also, where the missing links
P755DS5172 | Toshiba Satellite® Laptop with AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M Accelerated Processor | hhgregg

Hows the graphics card stand up vs the first two
HP 15.6 in., AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M, 6GB RAM, 640GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 - DV6-61C13NR / DV66C13NR - IN STOCK

Nothing new around here, is there... :p

I'd actually get the Acer. I have one slightly lower than yours. An AS5750-6589

AS5750-6589 | Product Model

Mine is an i3, but you should get the same but better performance out of the i5. I rather like it because of its lightness at 15.6" and also that it can stay cool under a full load. I stress tested it for 3 hours. It never went above 70C.

I would personally stay away from HP. I repaired a lot of them in the past. They are a bear to fix.

I'd go with that Toshiba as well. But Toshiba is nutorious for heating up. From what I know.

Cost depends on the store. Depends how many they have, how much in bulk they bought, etc. Each store is different. That is why you look many places for the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom