Physical Memory and Kernel Memory

threeright

Beta member
I would like to know the difference between Physical Memory and Kernel Memory and what they are and how do you modify the availible Kernel Memory?

For example, I know that to Modify the Physical Memory, I need to buy RAM and install the RAM sticks in my computer. However, I am currently clueless on what the Kernel Memory is and how it works.

Is Kernel Memory like a part of the physical memory which is allocated to be used exclusively by the Kernel?

I am asking this because I have recently installed "Starcraft 2" and the lack of "Kernel Memory" caused a real trouble for me until I've found this post http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=113433 which allowed me to modify my Kernel Memory.

The post however did little in explaining what the Kernel Memory is and where the extra memory comes from when I use this method to allocate the memory to the Kernel.

I also had trouble finding sites which explained this satisfactorily.

In fact, most of the sites which I've found talked about the 4gb system where 2gb is allocated to the Kernel Memory and 2gb is allocated to the Softwares. Which confused me more, since my Kernel sure as hell don't have 2gb space and I have total of 2gb worth of RAM.

Back
Top Bottom