PHP/MySQL - Need help figuring out if this will work

ep2002

In Runtime
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well. :)

Ok, I don't know how to explain this properly, so I'll just struggle along & if you need anything clarified, please ask.

First, I'd like a quote from only very experienced MySQL/PHP programmers on how much this appl. will cost to build. I know you need to see the specific DB outline, so I'll need you to sign an NDA.

If the price is too high, I will either go elsewhere, or have to do it in stages.

Second, I need to know if I can do what I want to do, so I'm looking for someone who thinks outside the box.

Ok, here goes...

I plan to develop an application that my customers can use to run the backend of their web sites.

This appl. will kind of be like a dating site (but it's not) where the customer can upload pics in various different arraignments (like 4 across & 4 down etc. & there will be different designs for them to choose from) there will also be a calender is set in place etc.

The appl. is run by my customer so they can make things visiable on their site to their customers. So, it has to be really user friendly, like a dating site.

Some of the data they will be able to see & only use for their own admin. purposes & other data their customers will be able to see & it will look all nice & a finished product.

Here in lies the question/problem...

I had one programmer tell me that this application could be hooked up to someone else's already existing site so they can continue to use their own site, hosting company etc. I think she mentioned a landing page or something like that to make it work.

That was b4, when I was going to sell the appl. Then we changed our minds & decided we would rent out the appl. with different tiers costing different prices of course.

I want to make sure that my customer doesn't need to download anything & they can just plug n play after an acct. has been set up for them.

Now I'm being told by different programmers that the appl. can't be clicked into place on someone's already existing site, They said that my customer would have to purchase a whole new web site template that was already designed to work with this appl.

Is this b/c I'm not longer selling the DB, but rather renting it out?

Can anyone come up w/ a way around this b/c I'm not sure my customers are going to want to give up their already existing site just to use this appl. They may also not want to change hosting companies since I guess I'll be acting as their hosting company too b/c their web site will be run thru my server.

Please get back to me either by PMing me, e-mailing me. I don't have a problem w/ you posting here, so long as I am notified that there's a message here.

Thanks so much & have a great wknd. :)

Michelle

There is no way that you will be able to fit the site in with their existing CMS systems, at least not without giving them the code...

if you want to rent the service you'll hae to host the service, for the uploading forms they can simply include [PHP include("page")] the form, (where the target is the active page on your server...

This way your customers will get to have the script facilities without actually posessing the code. (I suggest you se the HTTP_URI variable to determin what page is trying to include the script so that you can make sure your subscribers are paid and upto date.

certainly You could not rent the use of the script when actually giving the script away...

(actualy there isone wa, if you wanted to buy a PHP obfusicator, something like the Roadsend compiler, or source guardian, which allow you to put time limits on scripts,).
these byte code compiled PHP scripts usually require a second interperator to be installed on the server, so unless your customers own their own servers they probably won't ba able to make use of you time evaluated 'rent a service' script.

Back
Top Bottom