Petrol, or Diesel ?

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I am looking at some cars as some of you may know, but I keep getting stuck on deciding which engine I would like. It always comes down to the midrange engines, between 0-60mph times of 7.5 and 9seconds. There are nearly always two variants, the turbo petrol and the diesel. From what I can tell, the petrols are usually a little quicker, perhaps half a second, but most of there power is fairly high revving and torque below 3000, even 4000 rpm, isn't great - but keep them revving fairly high and they are fast. They also get about 50Mpg.

Then there are the diesels, they don't rev as high, but they often have about 140Nm/100lb-ft more torque, and it's usually all available from around 2000rpm to 4000, and then it drops off after that. They tend to be able to accelerate fairly well without being too dependent on what gear you are in, because of the torque. And from what i've read, it's the torque which gives you that feeling of being pushed into the back of your seat - which we all like..:big_grin: . These diesels get around 60Mpg.

Problem is, i've only ever drove one car. My 10 year old VW Polo, with its 1.4 liter naturally asperated 75hp and 125Nm of torque petrol engine. With a 0-60 of 12.5seconds (and that was 10 years ago, it's probably even slower now) it's about as fun as it sounds.

What i'm asking is, which is more likely fun to drive ? I was looking at one car with two different engines in particular.

Volvo V40 2012 D3:

Engine size: 2L Diesel
0-60: 9.3 seconds
Top speed: 130Mph
Power output: 147Bhp
Torque: 350Nm / 258lb-ft
Weight: 3271Lbs
Fuel delivery: Common rail

Or..

Volvo V40 2012 T3:

Engine size: 1.6L Petrol
0-60: 8.5 seconds
Top speed: 130mph
Torque: 240Nm / 177lb-ft
Fuel delivery: Turbo injection
Weight: 3042 Lbs

I really can't decide. The T3 petrol is technically faster, but if people are saying the pushed-back in your seat feeling is from the torque, then maybe the D3 will feel faster when you slam your foot down ? Would it be better to have nice low down power on the diesel or the high revving power from the petrol..

Opinions, please :yum:

I am looking at some cars as some of you may know, but I keep getting stuck on deciding which engine I would like. It always comes down to the midrange engines, between 0-60mph times of 7.5 and 9seconds. There are nearly always two variants, the turbo petrol and the diesel. From what I can tell, the petrols are usually a little quicker, perhaps half a second, but most of there power is fairly high revving and torque below 3000, even 4000 rpm, isn't great - but keep them revving fairly high and they are fast. They also get about 50Mpg.

Then there are the diesels, they don't rev as high, but they often have about 140Nm/100lb-ft more torque, and it's usually all available from around 2000rpm to 4000, and then it drops off after that. They tend to be able to accelerate fairly well without being too dependent on what gear you are in, because of the torque. And from what i've read, it's the torque which gives you that feeling of being pushed into the back of your seat - which we all like..:big_grin: . These diesels get around 60Mpg.

Problem is, i've only ever drove one car. My 10 year old VW Polo, with its 1.4 liter naturally asperated 75hp and 125Nm of torque petrol engine. With a 0-60 of 12.5seconds (and that was 10 years ago, it's probably even slower now) it's about as fun as it sounds.

What i'm asking is, which is more likely fun to drive ? I was looking at one car with two different engines in particular.

Volvo V40 2012 D3:

Or..

Volvo V40 2012 T3:

I really can't decide. The T3 petrol is technically faster, but if people are saying the pushed-back in your seat feeling is from the torque, then maybe the D3 will feel faster when you slam your foot down ? Would it be better to have nice low down power on the diesel or the high revving power from the petrol..

T3 hands down, anything over 9 seconds 0-60 is getting to the point where passing and merging will be very difficult.

Keep in mind that your repose will likely be skewed by the large percentage of Americans on the forum who are used to faster cars.

I may be completely wrong but based off some things I have seen doesn't the UK have excellent used car prices? If prices are even half as good as Top Gear makes it look you should be able to get a ton of car for very little money going that route.

Volvo V40 2012 D3:

Or..

Volvo V40 2012 T3:

If you have the choice between a Gasoline and Diesel car, go for the Diesel. More power, more efficient, and generally cleaner. Either way, you won't be disappointed with Volvo. Especially the higher end models :thumbsup:

You are in the UK, In either of those you will be the one getting passed ;)

Out of a "Fun" to drive the petrol will win, but when youre broke cause fuel costs too much, you'll wish you got the deisel.

How bag is the Volos T-lag? Anyone know?

You are in the UK, In either of those you will be the one getting passed ;)

Out of a "Fun" to drive the petrol will win, but when youre broke cause fuel costs too much, you'll wish you got the deisel.
How bag is the Volos T-lag? Anyone know?

Well, I only do short journeys (<20 miles tops), and the petrol is £500 cheaper to start with. Also, what do you mean by because i'm in the UK I will be the one getting passed ???

If you have the choice between a Gasoline and Diesel car, go for the Diesel. More power, more efficient, and generally cleaner. Either way, you won't be disappointed with Volvo. Especially the higher end models :thumbsup:

It is more torquey, but it's also heavier, and noisier, and likely not quite as smooth. It's just whether to torque is worth it, despite the slower 0-60. I'm not to concerned about economy, I don't drive very far and both are better than my current car by 10Mpg anyway.

T3 hands down, anything over 9 seconds 0-60 is getting to the point where passing and merging will be very difficult.

Keep in mind that your repose will likely be skewed by the large percentage of Americans on the forum who are used to faster cars.

I may be completely wrong but based off some things I have seen doesn't the UK have excellent used car prices? If prices are even half as good as Top Gear makes it look you should be able to get a ton of car for very little money going that route.

The V40 is brand new, so I can't get it used. I'd prefer new, anyway. Never liked used of anything..

I am aware that neither of the cars are fast exactley. But you gotta remember, my current car is probably around 13s 0-60... either of these engines will be around 40% quicker ! which will feel nice. They do a T4 version, which is 0-60 is 7.5s.. which is approaching fairly fast. But I am not really looking at it because the insurance will likely be way too high.

And yeah, I tried to pass a tractor the other day. I NEARLY DIED ! There was an oncoming car about 300/400 meters away at a guess. Suffice to say I only survived because it was an oddly wide road, so the oncoming car could just go past me mid overtake without much issue. Scary thing is, I would of still gone for the overtake if the road wasn't wide, because he seemed a long way off. But my car is stupidly slow. And it's really badly affected by additional passengers. I can judge overtakes fairly well with regards to whether I will make it if only me is in the car. But on that occasion my mum and sister were on board, and I forgot to take that into consideration.

With a small car like that, a little extra weight wouldn't be a bad thing. Protection, my friend. And the extra power of the diesel engine carries the extra weight. My XC60 has a 3.0L, 6 Cyl, 325HP engine that throws out 354lb-ft. It's also AWD. Get an AWD car. Anyways, I'd say go for the diesel.

(My Volvo goes from 0-60 in about 7s.)

With a small car like that, a little extra weight wouldn't be a bad thing. Protection, my friend. And the extra power of the diesel engine carries the extra weight. My XC60 has a 3.0L, 6 Cyl, 325HP engine that throws out 354lb-ft. It's also AWD. Get an AWD car. Anyways, I'd say go for the diesel.

(My Volvo goes from 0-60 in about 7s.)

It's a Volvo, it's about as safe as cars come :)

The D3 might be nice but i'm worried it's going to feel a bit dead in the higher rev ranges with the peak torque being low down.

With a Turbo you will spending almost as much on gas as diesel. At least here anyway where gas and premium are the same price. (I wouldn't suck anything less then premium through a turbo).

Get the D3 and chip it. Will smoke the T3..

Volvo S40 D3 Diesel Chip Tuning by ChipMyDiesel - Performance, Power & Economy

There I found it for you...

As nice as that is my insurance company would have a field day if they found out I put that in my car.

My answer is always go with what is most comfortable to drive and what you can afford in the long run. You may only drive short distances now but you don't really know what will happen a year from now. That is why I got a standard and decided to learn so I can save gas, and that is exactly what I'm doing. In my experience a car with roughly the same output to weight ratio will always lean in who has forced injection for a faster acceleration. Just depends on the turbo lag and what RPM that turbo really kicks in. I vote gas myself, as I hate diesel.

Back
Top Bottom