Personal Bios

Hi! You obey What your commander tells you to do. You don't think about it. You just do it.
seti severed his country. War is Hell. The big boys cause them and the little guys serve their country. It will never change seti. Thank you my friend for your service. I wish you the very best.
I don't know why you are always against me here on the forum. We are comrades and serviced our country. You paid a higher price my friend, but I would have paid that price if it was needed.
Gary
PS A little off topic, but where's the harm!
I am who I am. If you don't like me, I'm sorry. maybe you don't really know me.

Last edited:
Seti - My childhood doesn't sound as bad as yours but it wasn't idyllic either.

My dad also worked for Lockheed. He didn't beat me up but both he and my mother were alcoholics. He went out every night drinking while my mom stayed home and drank. My mom had back problems so she also mixed her alcohol consumption with pain medications. She was in a constant state of depression and tried to commit suicide several times when I was growing up. My oldest sister was also an alcoholic when she was an adult.

The weird thing is that I don't drink at all. It wasn't a conscious decision I made not to drink, I just can't stand the taste of alcohol. Beer, wine or any other kind of liquor all tastes nasty to me.

The reason I joined the army right out of high school was because I wanted to go to college but my parents wouldn't help me. I joined the army specifically to be able to qualify for the GI bill to help me go to college. I had no desire to crawl thru the jungles of 'Nam and get shot at or shoot others which is why I chose the MOS I did. I was what was referred to as a "REMF" (Rear Echelon Mother F*cker). My job was to repair radios and communications relay equipment. This was equipment installed in a building or installed in a mobile van, not the backpack radios. After Basic training, I only shot an M16 a couple of more times the rest of the time I was in the army.

I don't know if you did what you did in the army because you liked it and chose to do it because of your upbringing. I knew it was something I didn't want to do and I did all that I could do to avoid having to go into combat.

You guys that actually fought in combat deserve the praise and thanks of others. I personally don't feel proud to have served and when someone thanks me for my service it is pretty meaningless to me. I went into the military for strictly selfish reasons, get some training and get the GI Bill benefits. I didn't care about protecting or serving my country or fighting wars, just wanted to get trained in electronics and get out.

That sounds very much like my ex's dad. he beat conscription by joining voluntarily, that also meant that he spent much of his time in 'nam fixing radios with the Air force rather than crawling through jungles getting shot at.
(and again got an education, etc) eventually was stationed in the UK where he still lives.

Strollin, I was in the Navy. We all serve where we are needed. From the kids in the galley to the black shoes in the engine room to the operators on the flight deck to the support ships. We all do what's needed of us.
If you see combat or not, you served where you were needed. No shame in that. Your job was a cog in a much larger gear that drives the machine. With out that cog in place, the machine stops. Be proud. You and I served along side some amazing people. A once in a lifetime experience.

Yeah, I understand about being part of something much larger. I'm not ashamed that I didn't see combat, far from it. I just don't get all worked up with patriotism and feel the country deserves my respect simply because I was in the military.

As far as serving along side some amazing people, maybe you did but the people I was in the army with were mostly low lifes.

Back
Top Bottom