Perplexing question

Dancing_Shadows

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I am a college student, and I fix computers on the side for a little cash.

Anyways, I have this computer I am trying to wipe clean, re-install windows on, the guy gave it to me because he thought it was junk but really just needed a new battery. But back to the point. He has Jasc Paintshop Pro on here, but he didn't give me the disc, but I would like to make a disc of it so I don't lose the program.

so I was wondering if there is a way to make an installation disc using the files I already have on my computer?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. -I have a copy of it myself, but I can't find my disc since my girlfriend decided to "clean" the house (ie: put everything away where no one can find it, not even her.) I've just spent about an hour looking up and down several rooms to no avail, hence my dilemma :).

so I was wondering if there is a way to make an installation disc using the files I already have on my computer?
No dice I'm afraid. You could theoretically copy all the files and registry entries over then put them back in the new install and hope for the best - but it's far from watertight!

If you just want a decent image editing program, both GIMP and Paint.NET are good free alternatives.

No dice I'm afraid. You could theoretically copy all the files and registry entries over then put them back in the new install and hope for the best - but it's far from watertight!

If you just want a decent image editing program, both GIMP and Paint.NET are good free alternatives.

I've tried those, it's just a shame to let this program go to waste, since I actually did pay for it, just can't find the disc.

I might give what you said first a shot, might have to work out a few bugs with that method tho. Thanks for the quick reply.

Also, how would I locate EVERY file the program utilizes... sounds rather daunting.

Also, how would I locate EVERY file the program utilizes... sounds rather daunting.
To be honest - you wouldn't. The only sure fire way (and I have done this once for a completely different reason!) is to take a snapshot of your file system before and after install, then diff the two. But that's out since you'd need the disk!

Theoretically speaking I suppose you could reverse engineer the uninstaller, but that's much much more effort than it's worth.

You'd just have to take a bit of a guess by copying over the most likely locations. So search for jasc / paintshop in the registry to find relevant folders, and copy the whole install folder from program files (or wherever it was put) into your new install.

That said the chances are still pretty slim - it's just probably your best (practical) bet.

To be honest - you wouldn't. The only sure fire way (and I have done this once for a completely different reason!) is to take a snapshot of your file system before and after install, then diff the two. But that's out since you'd need the disk!

Theoretically speaking I suppose you could reverse engineer the uninstaller, but that's much much more effort than it's worth.

You'd just have to take a bit of a guess by copying over the most likely locations. So search for jasc / paintshop in the registry to find relevant folders, and copy the whole install folder from program files (or wherever it was put) into your new install.

That said the chances are still pretty slim - it's just probably your best (practical) bet.

good idea, I'm going to give this a try. Thanks.

A further note, if anyone has a copy of Jasc Paintshop Pro 9 and would be willing to make me an ISO or liveCD it would be appreciated. I have my own product Key already.

I found my disc :D

Thanks for the suggestions Berry.

Back
Top Bottom