Permission Issues caused from moving PC from Domain to Workgroup

tonydo

Beta member
I was working on a computer yesterday which was originally on a Domain. The user now moved his computer off the company's Domain and is now working at a jobsite which is on a workgroup. After I put the user on the designated workgroup, the computer had trouble accessing the the files which were shared throughout the workgroup. The error message mentioned the user not have permission to access the files/computer.

Is there something I can do to bypass this "permissions" issue?

How are the files being shared? Via external storage or from a server, or from another pc in the workgroup? You probably should map a network drive, and change the login as a different user option from the new computer to the computer that is sharing the files.

the files are being shared throughout another pc. Ok, ill try and map the drive. and can you elaborate on "change the login as a different user option from the new computer to the computer that is sharing the files."

thanks

sure, when you go to my computer and from the tools menu select map network drive. It has options for drive letter, path and there is a blue link there that says something like sign-in as a different user. When this happens for the username you should put something like:
\\computernameofcomputerwherefilesareshared\validusernameonthatcomputer
then, for the password, whatever the password on that computer is. Also, it is helpful if the computer sharing the files is also a Windows XP Pro machine.

I'm on vista, but here is what it sort of looks like.
mapdrive.jpg

ok, ill try this out when I go to work at the jobsite tomr. thanks for the suggestions.

so theres no way that you know of to eliminate that permission error/notification permanently right?

that method should do it. i know in vista you can save login details for network paths and stuff. im sure it xp pro has that feature.

Back
Top Bottom