Periodic CPU Lulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

mborkows

Beta member
On a seemingly random basis (sometimes happens multiple times in a day, other times wont happen for a week). I get CPU lulls (or drops) every few seconds.

To explain further, I will be browsing the internet and then my mouse will start stalling every second or so, music will "skip" at the same time, etc. If I go to Task Manager I can even watch the CPU usage drop from say 24% to 1% then back to 24% and a few seconds later the exact same thing will happen.

I have 1gb pc3200 and a 2.8 P4. I have overclocked in the past, but have not been for quite some time and not while the problem has been occuring.

Any ideas what it might be? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

hmmm strange,

Have you run 'Hijackthis' to make sure there's no unwelcome process's happening?

I trust you've run adaware recently,

I wonder if it is a hardware issue, what wattage is your Power supply?
(If you think its a inadequate PS you can check my removing uneeded PCI cards and going on onboard graphics and testing)

You could run a memtest on the RAM and CPU lvl 1/2 cache.

If none of those ideas work you could set your bios to default, perhaps something is still altered from a previous Overclockage.

well if your cpu usage is 24% thats not bad at all and then drops to 1% is even better and then a jump back up to 24% isnt bad at all. a "lull" as you call it isnt a bad thing you pc runs faster when it has less %age taken up. a cpu lag where your cpu will go from 1% and peg at like 99% for a minute or so would cause an issue.

sorry i cant be of more help but just wanted to let you know a cpu usage of 24% is pretty good and wouldnt cause a lag which is when your mouse skips and songs skip.

what could cause it is spyware or virus, bad registry values something more of that nature on the software end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom