"Performance Theory" Opinions please..

uid=[0]

Daemon Poster
Im going to do this, but thought I might get some opinions...

Im building a new system, and to "In theory" increase overall hard drive performance, Im going to install a small 6GB Maxtor hard drive(IDE) and set the pagefile on that drive, so that will decrease the read/write useage on the main hard drive wich free's up some performance for the primary drive.

Im not sure exactly how much of a performance increase it will provide, but I assume that it will give at least a little. But Ill find out and post here if I find any increase in performance. But would also like suggestions or opinions about this idea.

uid=[0] said:
Im going to do this, but thought I might get some opinions...

Im building a new system, and to "In theory" increase overall hard drive performance, Im going to install a small 6GB Maxtor hard drive(IDE) and set the pagefile on that drive, so that will decrease the read/write useage on the main hard drive wich free's up some performance for the primary drive.

Im not sure exactly how much of a performance increase it will provide, but I assume that it will give at least a little. But Ill find out and post here if I find any increase in performance. But would also like suggestions or opinions about this idea.

Due to the fact the old HD is slow as hell, it's going to be a peformance decrease.

EDIT: Also, IDE has to share the interface, so only one hard drive (or CD drive) can talk at a time if their on the same host.

Yes, the performance will decrease on it for sure. Although, the theory DJ-CHRIS said, I'll have to mention this:

I've been doing dual CD installation, meaning installing two different softwares on each CD drive. Okay, installation was slower, but it actually was able to transfer. If a drive will take full usage, the other will stall.

The primary drive is SATAII 7200RPM 160GB LOL and no doubt that the old one is slow as hell, but I thought about this or doing the same thing but with USB2.0 2GB Flash drive. Not sure how well that might work though either, just going to play around with a few different things and see what she does.

If you get 2gb of memory in your computer you can turn off the page file completely..

Edit-
However yes, that should in theory increase performance.

ArrizX said:
If you get 2gb of memory in your computer you can turn off the page file completely..

Very true, however only have 1GB for now, come febuary going to add another gig.

well i have been fooling around with hhd setups for a while, and i can say that even though an old drive can cause slowdown. i do know that if you know how to tweak the hhd and the OS, it will be fast enough to satisfy performance.

although this can go both ways, i prefer to tweak out the pc myself, add ram or a faster CPU before giving in to a new build.

i have an old gateway computer 950 cpu / 256 ram / 40 gig hhd , but have it tweaked out so that it boots up windows in 15 seconds. i think thats fast for such and old machine, and i have it loaded with software too. so if you know what your doing, you can get satisfaction out of old machines.

i just use it now for playing video games..

Well, the system Im building im building from the ground up. Motherboard CPU drives etc..

ArrizX said:
How old is this drive and what are the specs on it?

Not sure right off hand ill look it up when i get home. 6GB Maxtor I know that much LOL and that its a 5400RPM drive.

Back
Top Bottom