Pentium D vs Athlon 64 X2

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
The specs for the retail Pentium D Presler dual core looks pretty impressive. How do they compare to current dual core Athlon 64 X2's? Would you recommend switching over to that particular Intel processor or stay with the X2 still?

Straight from NewEgg.com.

Pentium D

NewEgg.com said:
Specifications
Model
Brand Intel
Series Pentium D
Model BX80553920
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
Tech Spec
Core Presler
Name Pentium D 920
Operating Frequency 2.8GHz
FSB 800MHz
L1 Cache 24KB+32KB
L2 Cache 2 x 2MB
Process Type 65 nm
Hyper-Threading Support Yes
64 bit Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Voltage 1.25-1.4V
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty 3-year warranty

Athelon 64 X2 4800+

NewEgg.com said:
Specifications
Model
Brand AMD
Series Athlon 64 X2
Model ADA4800CDBOX
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type Socket 939
Tech Spec
Core Toledo
Name Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Operating Frequency 2.4GHz
FSB 1GHz
L1 Cache 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache 2 x 1MB
Process Type 90 nm
Hyper-Transport Support Yes
64 bit Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Voltage 1.35-1.4V
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty 3-year warranty

If you google some reviews, quite a few says that the Athlon 64 X2 outpowers Intel extreme edition 2 times !!

Surely it outpowers Pentium D ..... Am not sute tho ;)

HELPME! said:
If you google some reviews, quite a few says that the Athlon 64 X2 outpowers Intel extreme edition 2 times !!

Surely it outpowers Pentium D ..... Am not sute tho ;)

Oh, it definately out performs the Pentium D... I've went through a 2 page discussion with a couple of members here stating why it out performs the Pentium D.

The Pentium D is a better multitasking processor, the X2 4800+ is a better gaming CPU. I wouldn't get the X2 4800+ though, to much money, and the performance increase over the Pentium D isn't anything huge at all. The Pentium D is better when it comes to the cost-to-performace ratio Therefore the Pentium D takes the cake...

Yeah, I was going to say that. The cost of Intel chips really came down in price. Remeber how they use to be the priciest processors on the market? I was looking at the new Presler Pentium D and was like blown away at how "cheap" they were compared to the X2's.

That's what makes the Pentium D such a better buy then the X2, is the price tag. Why pay $500-$600 dollars more for a CPU that barely beats it? Is a few numbers really worth an extra $600 dollars? I don't think it is. Therefore when it comes to the cost-to-performance ratio the Pentium D wins hands down. :D

As I understand it, isn't the Presler still using the same Net burst technology as their Prescott predecessor? I hear that they are like the Prescott cores but with a smaller 65nm production process which makes it smaller and pump out higher frequencies. It's cheaper because of the way they are produced also with everything going down in size, which can make room for higher L2 cache.

if there is a presler core to outdo the athlon x2 4800, its the 955 XE, the 950 doesnt compare, check out the whole benchmark thread on tomshardware.com. the downside to intel 955 XE is that it takes a lot more power than the 4800, and will cost about $350 more. so..amd it is.

The 930 Presler Pentium D is a competitor to the Athelon 64 X2, you don't need the XE version. Although the XE version is a little bit better, but when it comes to cost-to-performance, intel wins.

Back
Top Bottom