Pentium 4 Locked At Wrong Multiplier???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DubbaEwwTeeEff

Beta member
I just bought a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116177 for specs) for my Asus P4P800 motherboard. But it's only running at 2.8 GHz. All my BIOS settings are fine, and all my reported speeds are fine (system clock and FSB - 200 and 800, respectively) but the Multiplier is apparently set at 14, when it should be locked at 17. I can't figure out how to get it right for the life of me.

The only other thing out of the ordinary is a CPU Fan Warning - it's reporting speeds anywhere between 900 and 1600 RPMs, depending on what I turn the dial to (Zalman VF7700AlCu; comes with a fan speed controller), but always has the warning and I'm not sure why. I don't think it's related, but maybe it'll help.

Well, if your multiplier is stuck at 14 (which is what happens with Intels) then they must have sent you the wrong chip.

Did you look at the actual CPU before you put the HS%F on?

I would call or email newegg to see about returning it.

About your fan, I wouldnt worry about your fan speed, as long as your temps are fine.

It should tell you the speen and all the info on the back of the chip. Maybe they sent you a 2.8 instead of the 3.4. What did the box say, did you check?

I just read about something like that, the exact thing happening. I will try to find the article, it says how to fix it.

are u sure ur mobo will take that chip ?? ive got a p4p800E deluxe, and it only supports up to a 3.2, which is what iv e got

Elbatrop1 said:
Did you look at the actual CPU before you put the HS%F on?
Try the BOX that it it came in.
With the way that both intel and AMD package their CPUs, it will a little more that just 1 CPU put in the wrong box. They would normally have about a few thousand, and I would of heard some thing about it via my channel partner membership.

However the best bet would be the check the actual CPU and the box that it came in.

If it's is the wrong CPU that has been send, it's going to be a pain to prove it now that the box is opened.
VIII said:
are u sure ur mobo will take that chip ?? ive got a p4p800E deluxe, and it only supports up to a 3.2, which is what iv e got
Ditto. That is what I am thinking too as my boss had the same motherboard. You needed to flash the BIOS and even after that, 3.2 is the highest it will go.

Well, I'm finally able to respond again... and here's what happened.

A few days ago I tried to resolve the heat issue by removing the HSF, re-applying the thermal grease, and installing it again. For my effort, I was rewarded with a motherboard that refused to even POST; I got no video, no audio, no error beeps, nothing. Just spinning fans and two solid LEDs on the front.

So I took it to one of the local computer stores around here, described my problems, and let them work. A few days later, I call them, and they have it working at 3.4 GHz. For some reason, none of the problems I was having showed up for them - it booted fine, and when they flashed the BIOS with version 1019 it recognized the processor as 3.4 GHz without any problems. Apparently, I'm just unlucky.

Anyways. Obviously (since it's working now), they didn't send the wrong chip to me; it was just locked at the lower multiplier for some reason. As for motherboard compatibility, the standard P4P800 has been compatible with that chip since BIOS revision 1019; there's a compatibility chart on the ASUS website. It's strange that the P4P800E Deluxe only goes up to 3.2 after BIOS flash; the standard P4P800 I've got lists compatibility up to 3.2 in the manual (i.e. out of the box) and works with the 3.4 chips once you update it.

As for what caused the 2.8 problem: I can't say for sure, but I think maybe it had something to do with using EZ-Flash instead of going through all the extra steps and flashing it the normal way. My guess is once the computer shop got ahold of it, they flashed the BIOS in the traditional way, and ended up fixing the problem. I have no idea whether that's what actually happened, but for anyone else who comes across this thread and is having the same problem, that might be something to try.

DubbaEwwTeeEff said:
Well, I'm finally able to respond again... and here's what happened.

A few days ago I tried to resolve the heat issue by removing the HSF, re-applying the thermal grease, and installing it again. For my effort, I was rewarded with a motherboard that refused to even POST; I got no video, no audio, no error beeps, nothing. Just spinning fans and two solid LEDs on the front.

So I took it to one of the local computer stores around here, described my problems, and let them work. A few days later, I call them, and they have it working at 3.4 GHz. For some reason, none of the problems I was having showed up for them - it booted fine, and when they flashed the BIOS with version 1019 it recognized the processor as 3.4 GHz without any problems. Apparently, I'm just unlucky.

Anyways. Obviously (since it's working now), they didn't send the wrong chip to me; it was just locked at the lower multiplier for some reason. As for motherboard compatibility, the standard P4P800 has been compatible with that chip since BIOS revision 1019; there's a compatibility chart on the ASUS website. It's strange that the P4P800E Deluxe only goes up to 3.2 after BIOS flash; the standard P4P800 I've got lists compatibility up to 3.2 in the manual (i.e. out of the box) and works with the 3.4 chips once you update it.

As for what caused the 2.8 problem: I can't say for sure, but I think maybe it had something to do with using EZ-Flash instead of going through all the extra steps and flashing it the normal way. My guess is once the computer shop got ahold of it, they flashed the BIOS in the traditional way, and ended up fixing the problem. I have no idea whether that's what actually happened, but for anyone else who comes across this thread and is having the same problem, that might be something to try.

It's a known problem, the exact same thing that you have. Intel has formall stated how to fix it, and why it occurs.

http://support.intel.com/support/pr...b/CS-008619.htm

Him - I read the page you linked to, but it doesn't seem that helpful - I don't see it outlining a solution anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something on that page, but all I got from it is "Some older motherboards might not work - check the AA# to see if yours does." But that doesn't really make sense when you consider that mine DOES work now, and didn't before; if it was all up to physical assembly revisions, wouldn't it be a situation of "either it works or it doesn't, so start praying"?

If I'm misinterpreting the article please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom