Pentium 4 desktop PC freezing unexpectidly. Help please.

solarwind.24 said:
I also tried to power up the computer without the cpu fan and heatsink on. Guess what, the processor chip got so hot in the first 3 seconds (literaly first 3 seconds), I could fry eggs on it. I burned my finger when I touched it, even before bios finished checking the memory.

stupid stupid stupid!
I don't mean to be offensive but without any cooling the cpu can get destroyed VERY quicly. U keep it like that for 10 seconds and the cpu is gone!

And that kind of does sound like a heat problem. Check ur BIOS for the cpu temperatures.

I know... for my other (which is really old) computer (amd k6 overclocked to 233 mHz) I dont even need a heatsink nevermind a fan. It stays cool. But anyway, I wanted to see how hot my pentium 4 got just for a few seconds without the heatsink.

Its a pentium 4 1700 mHz cpu. Its not overclocked.

And one possible cause could be the cheap rambus memory (2 x 64 mB) & (2 x continuity rimm).
And another possible cause could be the heat temperatures.

My bios does not show temperatures = (

Is there any program for linux that shows temperatures (something like speedfan for w--dows)

solarwind.24 said:
please help!

since we don't know ur cpu & gpu temps all we can do is gues.
U could always buy new cooling to them, won't cost u too much and will definitely make them run at lower temps. But there could be some other problem, like the ram.

Back
Top Bottom