Pent-D temp help.

torment1979

Baseband Member
Hey guys I just built a new computer, mobo p5n32-e sli, with a intel pent-d 805, ddr2 pc-677 1gb, nvidia 7600 pci-e. my temps from the cpu are jumping all around range from 42c - 81c with 15% overclocking. Now at stock they still jump around like crazy. I'm using the stock heatsink with fan. Do you think I should change the fan/heatsink and some artic silver before I overclock? Or do you think it needs time to let the paste setup. All I had was a gen. radioshack paste left. I just got the pc together today, also does anyone know the max temp for this chip?

Try reseating the heatsink, and yes, you should invest in some new thermal paste. A new heatsink/fan shouldn't be necessary.

I'm going to order some artic silver, and i'll clean and reseat the heatsink. this was the frist time I've built a skt 775, so i was trying to be careful. noone wants to break a new mobo. thanks for the quick response

Even with standard thermal goop, it shouldn't jump that high at stock speeds and voltages. Re-seat the heatsink, don't use too much thermal paste, and see how it goes. Also, make sure your vcore voltage isn't set high for some reason.

v-core: 1.25 +3.3: 3.14 +5.0: 4.68 +12.0: 11.46 1.2vht: 1.25 sb core: 1.55
cpu vtt: 1.26 ddr2: 0.96 nb core: 1.25 memory: 1.89 as of this min my cpu temp is 59c at idle mobo os rock steady at 37c the mobo hasn't even come close to 40c even when i started to overclock. right now i'm at stock settings until i can bring the temp down. But does anyone know the max temps of the dual core? I can't seem to find a deff, ans.

Something is definitely wrong. Generally, under 70* should technically be safe, but I like to keep mine below 60*, which you should be running below. You could try using different temperature monitors, like Speedfan or CoreTemp. Somethings not reporting the temperature correctly, or you need to re-seat the heatsink. Also, what kind of airflow are you getting in your case?

hey man i have a pent d 925 so maybe i can kind of relate man....when i first put on my heatsink it wasnt fully touching makeing it overheat quickly...but your right if you have the big circluar heatsink fan (i think its stock with the 800's too) then its normally not enough to keep them cool....it does on mine but it still runs in the higher temps...but im fine with that...i personally think you should get a new cpu cooler simply because aftermarket ones rock and your overclocking ability will go a lot more up!....but i would clock it back to stock in order to not get ne thing hurt for now :)!

It looks like that the heatsink was misseated or there's no thermal compound on it. If you apply Artic Silver and still doesn't do a lot, then I'd get another heatsink if you are confidant that the heatsink is well installed. I find that my generic heastink/fan ofperates and cools better the CPU compared to the stock Intel.

Apply thermal compund at the size of a grain of rice. Not all needs to be applied, or you will have a nice suprise and you also may "choke" the CPU.

I reseated the heatsink and cleaned/ reapplied some compund. It idles around 39-42c, I haven't pushed the cpu yet. I'm going to run 3dmark soon just too see what happens when pushed. I'm going to go water cooled anyways, when i get another 7600gt. In about a month or so. But so far your advice is working great, thats why I love this site. I do have a cooler master cent. case thats nothing but a mesh screen. I think the air flow isn't too great, i have to do some wire managment/ add another front fan. 1 80mm isnt cutting it on this cpu. thank you for all your advice.

Back
Top Bottom