PCI vs AGP

DCHWeb

Baseband Member
I am in the market for purchasing a new video card, but I have a problem: My computer doesn't have an AGP slot for a video card. The card I am looking at right now comes in both a PCI and an AGP model. What exactly would I be loosing by not getting the AGP model. What would it take to get an AGP port, besides a new motherboard. I want this to be a low cost venture, so lets try not to buy a whole new computers worth of parts :p

a pci card does not have the same kind of direct memory access an agp card does-so its a little slower. this only matters for gaming-if your not going to game no appreciable difference will be noticed.

How much slower would it be? The intent is for gaming, but I am just begining to game, so I have no clue where I am going here. Are we talking a lag of a few milliseconds, a few seconds or what. What do you mean by direct memory access.

Please pardon my temporary ignorance, I have been in the computer world for quite some time, but have been developing for the web, never stopped to play games, so I have very limited knowledge here :D

DCHWeb said:
I am in the market for purchasing a new video card, but I have a problem: My computer doesn't have an AGP slot for a video card. The card I am looking at right now comes in both a PCI and an AGP model. What exactly would I be loosing by not getting the AGP model. What would it take to get an AGP port, besides a new motherboard. I want this to be a low cost venture, so lets try not to buy a whole new computers worth of parts :p
Well heres the deal.how up to date do you want or need to be ?
A P4 AGP system isn't that much.Save till you can and don't upgrade what you have now is my advice as you didn't say much about your ? system.
. What would it take to get an AGP port,
A new motherboard...
:confused:

Yeah; PCI will do for most games anyway. It really depends what you want to use it for.

For a AGP, you'd need a new motherboard. They're not that much, ish.

So what brand of motherboard should I go for then? Is there anything besides Intel, does AMD make motherboards?

Loads of People make motherboards; AMD don't but nVidia make the nForce, there're Gigabyte ones, Asus ones, MSi ones.

Try Overclockers; they have lots of nice stuff on there for generally good prices.

If you don't want to get a new Processor then you'll have to look for a motherboard that'll fit your current Processor.

DCHWeb said:
So what brand of motherboard should I go for then? Is there anything besides Intel, does AMD make motherboards?
Do you live in a Big City ?
Do you have Computer Stores wherever that is ?
Why not ask them,or take a trip to where they are.
I recommend a Case mbd cpu package.

Then you can upgrade audio video etc as the $ and the need arises.
:D
There are many answers to this,it depend on you investagateing locally.
Sorry but are you that isolated from the rest of us ? Do you have advertiseing there ?
:confused:

if you don't want to buy a new motherboard with an agp slot try to see if you can find a voodoo 4 video card-There fast and well made though power pigish. Some of todays games won't run on anything but an agp card though. Generally with a new motherboard a new cpu is best-total cost low-89.95 at outlets like frys here in california or best buy on sale. High side $10,000 dollars-and anything in between. For online gaming you really have to have broadband. Direct memory access is where the video card has direct access to your computers memory instead of through the cpu-this speeds up gaming triangle and octogone processing alot-thereby generating way faster 3d animation.

Well, out here in the boondocks, there is only one computer "store" but it is nothing but my isps little shop where they have modems and stuff. I have talked to them and they don't know anything about video cards. When I have saved up enough for gas for a trip to the city, I shall take a look, assuming I have money left over for what I need after paying for gas to get there :p

Last time I looked into getting a new motherboard (around 3 years ago prolly) the cheapest one I found was about 200 dollars without the processor, which was another 200 dollars. Have they really come down that much?

Back
Top Bottom