PCI-E question

Well the 60MM fan finally broke (the case of them is always so flimsy) So I did this with a 3" fan and cardboard

11.jpg.

Temperature at idle

22.jpg

Temperature at Fortnite main screen.

33.jpg

I saw how the cardboard nearly covered all three heatsinks so that got me to thinking.

Why can't I have someone take measurements and 3D print a box that will fit over the three heatsinks and use a single 3" fan to blow air over all three heatsinks.

Would that work or will it not force enough air through the CPU heatsink given its fins are closer together?

Also the 3" fan is quieter.

Now for the second computer I moved it into my building to use for live streaming. It currently uses a USB ethernet adapter as the motherboard Ethernet ports no longer work.

The first computer has two ports so I simply used one for the main ethernet from the modem which is in the house while the computers are in the building and the second port goes to the other computer. I simply had to set up bridging and both computers have ethernet without having to buy a switch. However I do not know how much if any resources that uses from the main PC so I don't know how it impacts Fortnite. However that is temporary though as I didn't have the extra for an unmanaged network switch this month.

That gives me a weird problem though.

The upload speed on the main PC is something like 1.5Mbps however the upload speed on the second computer is 10Mbps and I don't know why. At least the upload speed is high where I needed it to be though.

Thinking about it if I wanted a better heatsink it would need to be a custom job.

I've looked at various heatsinks I have around here and while I could maybe modify some to fit in the provided space I'd have no way to secure the heatsink. Plus modding a heatsink reduces its efficiency so it could be that the modded heatsink performs worse than what I already have.

I've thought of getting this fan adapter to adapt the 80mm fan to a 40mm fan size as it's better than the cardboard box I am using.

https://www.ebay.com/i/283638153917?ul_noapp=true

Concerning heatsinks what is better? Copper or aluminum?

EDIT:

That fan adapter is too tall to fit so I'm stuck with cardboard unless I move the L brackets for the cards back some which I don't think I'll be able to do.

Although I could probably make it fit if I ditch the stock PCI extension cable and go for one that is at a right angle like the PCI-E extension is.

However when playing Fortnite the CPU temp only gets up to about 150F and that's with overclocking the 2.5GHz CPU to 3.066GHz so I think I'm fine there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom