PCI-E question

Now here's what I'm tempted to do.

My Xbox 360 is liquid cooled and sits on the shelf above the 32" TV.

The pump is between the 360 and radiator.

Now if the pump will move liquid down to where the computer is and back up all I'd need is a suitable water block and tubing.

Plus a way to select whether the pump and fans are powered by the 360 or computer.

I'd need the cooling loop to be in series though given there may be times I have both my 360 and computer on at the same time.

However that's a lot of work for something that seems to do good enough with a heatsink and fan plus I don't really know if the pump is strong enough.

Now if I never used my 360 I'd remove the cooling system and get the water block for the computer and not need to buy a radiator, fans and coolant.

Agreed. Too much trouble plus there's no guarantee it will work and also there's more stuff that could potentially fail.

With the heatsink if the fan fails the processor will be fine.

However if the liquid cooling fails there goes the processor.

So I decided to try something.

With fortnite at the title screen to give the CPU some load I placed one of the original 60MM case fans in front of the CPU heatsink and it brought the temp down from 136F with the 40MM fan to 131F. That's without the fan adapter.

So I think maybe the fan adapter might make it cool a little more.

However before buying a fan adapter I might try and make one out of heat shrink just to see if it will work better than the 40MM fan.

Last edited:
So while at work I found a very small cardboard box a component came in that was just big enough for the 60MM fan to fit inside. I cut a 40mm hole in the bottom where the original fan mount is mounted.

Sure its a little noisy, but while playing fortnite I saw the CPU temperature drop by about 6F.

So the proof of concept shows it provides some benefit.

When I get the cash I may get that 60mm to 40 mm adapter and try that to see if its any better.

However I need to see if there's a better fan out there to try. The fan i have is a 60mm X 10mm and I know there's thicker fans out there that are better.

I'll post pictures of it when I get home.

Now if I get a better video card will it run fortnite better and/or make my streaming better?

That will have to wait awhile but im open to suggestions so I can know about how much I need to set aside.

I remembered that those original 60M fans are quite fragile when I touched a blade by accident while it was running and it broke off.

So I looked and found another 60MM fan that I had actually used for the other identical PC for case fans as it is quieter. I tried that one and it seems to at least work the same if not slightly better. At least it's a little quieter.

I however may still try a thicker 60MM fan next payday though. I need to look for one that has high static pressure.

So far I've found these. Noise isn't so much of an issue to me so long as it isn't too loud.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sanyo-Denki/109R0612J4011?qs=Ldb7c5mTB15YvYKqMjo45Q==

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sanyo-Denki/9A0612G401?qs=t9Lg9qrXjEzYee1W30ifJA==

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delta-Electronics/AFB0612EH-ABF00?qs=/W4LtXOBxKtYylkdADOdNA==

Now is it possible to use this PC just for the stream and get a gaming laptop for playing fortnite that has an HDMI output and use a USB capture device for the HDMI signal from the laptop? I can run the HDMI to another HDMI input on my laptop.

I could use a HDMI capture card if there's one that fits a PCI-E X1 slot.

Also if I did that is it possible to run one ethernet line to my building and use a network switch to have ethernet to both computers?

What would be a good outdoor rated ethenet cable?

I found the issue why I was having so much trouble with Fortnite the last few days.

I had renamed the folder Crystal CPUID (use that to set the other two cores to be as fast as the first two) is in, but didn't update the task in task scheduler

Adding to the previous post, that program has to be run each time the PC boots up which is why I made it a task that runs when I log on.

Unfortunately thats the fastest processor that will fit the motherboard.

I've got a question.

If I get a better graphics card will I get a higher FPS in fortnite or is my processor the main limiting factor?

Per my other topic I'll be getting a good ethernet cable Thursday when I get paid so that will solve the streaming issues I think.

Right now you're GPU bottlenecked because that thing isn't meant for any kind of gaming. You could go as far as a 1660 on that CPU but not really any further but you don't need much GPU to run Fortnite. The irony here is that this will run Fortnite but my 940BE and 955BE both refuse to, probably due to lack of AVX maybe idk.

Back
Top Bottom