PCI-E question

They do seem few and far between though.

I could use a USB power source, but it would need to be plugged into a power strip and would be powered all the time.

Using a USB hub or a USB port means it is only on when the computer is.

However that Vizio TV does have a USB port so I can use it to power the adapter.

However since I'm going to use a PCI-E ethernet card I do still need to install those two other USB ports.

Main thing is finding a connector that fits the connector on the motherboard then I gotta wire the connections to it from the two USB jacks.

I have the following USB in use.

1. USB printer.
2. USB to serial adapter. (Auto sets an oscilloscope clock i made)
3. USB receiver for mouse + keyboard.
4. USB for wireless headset.
5. Thumb drive.
6. USB Wi-Fi
7. Power for a Bluetooth receiver.
I know there's three more I can't think of right now. Will list them when I get home.

Last edited:
Don't forget that USB has finite current capabilities and bandwidth. The more USB you toss on the more power draw and bandwidth draw, which is a rather slim pool to pull from if it's USB 2.0. If you want to do all this your best bet is to start upgrading your platform instead of beating a dead horse, it'll make streaming a lot easier.

8. charging for wireless headphones
9. iPod.
10. Controller.

The two USB hubs are powered hubs and are wired into the computer's power supply.

Plus I don't have anything on USB that requires a lot of bandwidth other than the USB Wi-Fi adapter, but that is straight into a USB port on the PC itself and that is soon to go away in favor of the PCI-E Wi-Fi adapter.

Now since I have plenty of room to mount a video card, if a better video card would help, which one would you recommend?

I'd prefer it to have three HDMI outputs or two HDMI and one DVI.

The current video card I could either keep as backup or install in the other identical computer once I can afford an HDTV for it.

I might have to move the audio card down some if I do get a PCI-E Wi-Fi card and a better video card though.

I would love a new or much newer computer, but the money just isn't there right now. Plus I have time and money in this one.

I am a bit leery about running a little above 50' of ethernet cable from the house to my building behind the house. On the other identical PC maybe a year or two ago storms came through and even though the PC was not but 12' from the router and connected by ethernet, the ethernet ports on that one stopped working. So I can only imagine how much more potential there is for damage running ethernet cable outside.

Went ahead and ordered the adapter.

It arrives Thursday.

I may try it on the existing TV since it has a second HDMI input. That way I'll know if it works without having to buy another Vizio.

I actually want to replace the Sharp 32" as some black text on it don't look good and the color doesn't seem as good as the Vizio, but the TV still works great.

Last edited:
I know.

I was thinking more about things like lightning given the example I cited of two bad ethernet ports and lightning didn't even direct strike.

Plus I have to make a hole in my building for the cable and have to figure a way to run it properly from the building to the house.

Back
Top Bottom