PCI-E question

Ok I've pulled the motherboard and tried to fit it in the larger case.

Could not see an easy way to do it so I'm not going to be able to do that.

What I need is a cable of maybe 3' that can extend the PCI-E slot so that I can run the card external to the PC.

I know there's external PCI-E cages, but none I've seen use a PCI-E cable to connect them to the computer plus they are expensive.

For a better power supply I can take a computer power supply and leave it external to the computer then I can splice in the 10 pin connector and splice in the 4 pin connector (so that it is long enough to reach) plus extend the other connectors.

So far I just need the two motherboard connectors and two 4 pin connectors to connect to the adapters for the SATA power socket the DVD drive and hard drive has unless the new power supply has a long enough power cable with the SATA power plugs on it. Also if the video card uses a power connector I'll need one for that.

I could use the supply from my XP PC, but I'd rather not use an older supply even though it will work.

Hit up Amazon and search for pcie x4 extension cable, or x1 if it is an x1.

I would need the one for the smaller PCI-E slot although I do have the longer slot as well. Provided a good video card is made for the shorter PCI-E slot as that would be less of a cable to manage.

I was only guessing on the 3'

Probably only need a little over 1'

The first page shows a photo of the motherboard with both PCI-E slots.

Last edited:
Dang that may or may not work.

Too bad the board and case is so small.
Oh I could install a video card inside the computer, but height would have to be small far as any heatsinks and fan is concerned plus I'd have to remove the PCI audio card I have inside and either go with a USB sound card or a long PCI extension cable which prob isn't going to be made in a long enough length.

There's no room at all inside to mount a video card period.

Maybe I can figure a way to mount it to the rear of the case on the outside then a short cable will work for sure.

Here's a picture of the inside of the computer.

1 motherboard.jpg

Last edited:
Man that is a cramped case! If it was me i would get a new motherboard and power supply, then the pcie would fit in the regular case. There are a lot of older type motherboards out there that would fit your needs. By the time you did all the mods, you would save more funds for a better board and Psu

Back
Top Bottom