PCI-E Adapter vs. Extender?

S1lent Echoes

Beta member
Hi all, I have a video card not fitting into a case due to a large CPU fan assembly and I was just curious about the advantages and disadvantages of using a PCI-E adapter (PCI or PCI-E x1 to PCI-E x16 adapter to be exact) and/or a PCI-E x16 extender.

Which would be better? I assume the extender would be better as it still connects through the actual x16 and keeps the bandwidth intact but I was curious about how that would work, mounting-wise?

Also, would there be any benefit to using two video cards that are not Crossfire or SLI? They would be two completely different video cards - make, model, and manufacturer. I assume not, but I thought it best to ask someone who knows more.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Do you have a picture? "extending" your PCI-E slot seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth versus getting a new CPU cooler.

Well, it is a custom motherboard so another heatsink assembly is out of the question (I have inquired and was told it was "unlikely").

I live off disability and as such money is limited, so I am opting for the cheaper option at least for the time being. Plans are in the works to start building a new rig in the near future but for now these are my only options.

Ah, I see. I just haven't ever heard of extending a PCI-E slot, maybe somebody else will chime in here in a few. Sorry I couldn't help more!

No problem, I appreciate the thought though. :)

I did plenty of searching and it seems pretty common but I could not find any "clear" pros/cons for using them.

Yep no problem. I'll have to do some searching then... I can't imagine there'd be any negative effects on performance? But I could be wrong. I imagine it's basically a direct pin-for-pin connection. Either way, good luck! Post what you find, I'd be interested to see.

Well, after some advice on another forums, I decided to go ahead and try to modify the existing shroud assembly instead of opting for the extender/adapter.

I was able to make it work, though it isn't pretty. Just a temporary solution anyways. :/

Just thought I'd update.

If that's a DELL modding the shroud around the CPU will have an adverse effect on the cooling of the chip. What make and model system do you have?

Yeah, I am well aware of that side effect and am stress testing it to see how it performs. Still, I am hopeful and in the end it is only a temporary fix for a temporary system. I appreciate the feedback though.

Back
Top Bottom