PC won't start+crumpled/melted heatpipes(pics)

Teve

Beta member
Thanks in advance for any help. I was using my computer at lunch today, and when I returned from work it was asleep but wouldn't turn back on(a intermitent problem I've had). For some reason holding down the power button won't reset the comp, so I have to switch off the power supply and turn it back on and it restarts normally. This time it simply wouldn't come back on. I opened the case to check all the connections and everything was firmly in-place. The standby light on the PSU was even on. That's when I noticed something was wrong with the heatpipes on the CPU cooler I installed about 2 months ago. I have never seen the cpu temp rise above 36 Celsius under the most demanding conditions. All the major components are listed below, and with the exception of the hard drive, were all purchased brand new in Oct 2011. I can provide more details if requested. What could be the issue? Have the heat pipes failed?

-Teve

Specs:
AMD FX-6100 processor(not overclocked)
Thermaltake Frio dual 120mm CPU cooler
MSi Radeon 6870 Hawk 1gb graphics
MSi 990FXA-GD65 Mobo
8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3
Thermaltake 775w "Toughpower" PSU
160gb 5600rpm Western Digital

Overall Case View(notice PSU stanby is on):
2012-04-05_17-47-12_841.jpg

Zoom out CPU heat pipes:
2012-04-05_17-44-53_27.jpg

Close-up busted heat pipes:
2012-04-05_17-45-18_570.jpg

Last edited:
Unless your core temps have been rising,the heat pipes are fine, i have seen that on other heatsinks that were brand new and thats how they came. Though with the other problem, my only guess is that your power supply could be a dud? I am stumped on this, sorry. Could you post pictures of amps/voltage levels from bios?

Just saw your response regarding the heat pipes. I agree it doesn't seem to be much of an issue since upon close inspection they still seem to be sealed. I'm surprised the power supply died. Like I said it's less than 6 months old, and frankly was overpowered for what I was using it for. One thing I didn't know until after I bought it, is that is has a feature that runs the fan for a while after you shut down/sleep to cool the PSU a bit more. I always thought that might be why it would get frozen in sleep mode. We'll have to see once I replace. I'm interested to see how TT will deal with my warranty claim.

Back
Top Bottom