PC won't boot?

Lurno

Baseband Member
Greetings. I'm experiencing a problem with a PC that worked OK up until now. I opened it to see if a new motherboard that I had purchased would fit (Not removing it, just comparing the size, I only removed a cover from the case) and when I cover it again, it won't boot... Not even into bios. Is the board dead? This seems too random to be true, but not a big loss since I was going to replace it anyways... But this is the second time something like this happens to me... Is this normal? I am starting to suspect that the power supply has something to do with this, but I can't detect burning smell or any sound from it (other than the fan).

Was it plugged in when youtried this? Did you ground yourself and use an antistatic wrist strap? Did the motherboard you were holding touch anything metal?

I've accidentally hit the switch on the power supply before while handling a computer case. It had me scratching my head for a minute...let's see...cord plugged into mains power outlet...other end of the power cord plugged into power supply...OH!, darn it, I must have switched the power supply off by accident!

I've accidentally hit the switch on the power supply before while handling a computer case. It had me scratching my head for a minute...let's see...cord plugged into mains power outlet...other end of the power cord plugged into power supply...OH!, darn it, I must have switched the power supply off by accident!

Oh yea, that too. Same as when my video card wouldn't start.. It wasn't plugged in!

Yes, it was plugged in, however, now that you mention grounding... I never ground myself... But I didn't touch anything metallic, nor did the motherboard... I think... But if this is what happened, then the new motherboard is dead as well and the other parts have not even arrived yet... I am very screwed... Very, very screwed. Wait... Is screwed considered a vulgar term? Sorry if it is...
EDIT:Wow, 2 more replies while I typed this. Thanks for the help!
Edit 2: I checked and the power supply lacks switches.

The older motherboard mysteriously came back to life the moment i was going to replace it. The new processor arrived, but not the ram... yet... I left the motherboard alone for a bit and one of my family members pulled a capacitor off... When I connect it, I expect to see at least spinning fans... But nothing seems to get power. Does this mean that the motherboard is 100% dead or will it work if i just place it back on the pins without soldering and when I get the ram?
EDIT: The ram arrived, it didn't work...

Back
Top Bottom