PC Webhosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
I am trying to host my own website off of my personal PC with iis. All is working fine as far as the website goes however since my computer is in a network it's ip is the 192.168.0.3 set by my router. When i try to access my site by entering my router ip (Netgear wierless router) it comes back saying the connection was refused.:mad: Does anyone know how people could access my website over the net?
Thanks

you need to forward port 80 to the computer hosting the website. you do this through your router. also make sure that you open port 80 in all firewalls that are passed through to get to the webserver

I have tried to foreward ports 80 and 21 (I also want to serve FTP) in my router. I was wondering if it would work beter it i took the line from my modem and split it with an old hub i had laying around and hooked one end into my PC and the other into the router. When i did this and i typed HTTP://my ip my website would come up however i couldn't access anything on the internet:confused: (yahoo.com ect)! However the computer still on the router could access the internet just fine:eek:. If anybody has ANY idea of what is wrong pleese post because i am very comfused :grind:
dr_nick50437

your isp could be blocking port 80

from http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=199759

If not you can always configure iis to use another port by going to the iis console and look for the website tab and change the entry in TCP Port (a common one is to use 8080 instead of 80). If you then wanted to browse this site your url would then be http:\\127.0.0.1:8080 (notice the :8080 at the end of the url - this tells your browser to use that port instead of 80.

well i tried changing the port on iis and forewarding port 8080 on the router and allowing that port in blackice but i still get a message saying the connection was refused. In my router security settings there is a "respond to ping" checkbox (unchecked) and a default DMZ server adress. I have tried to set the default DMZ server to my computer but that just gave me tons of "suspicious activity" things in black ice. i cannot figue out why my router will not allow any connections. (btw i realize and hope you do to my ip is not the 192.168 one the router ip that i think i would use to access the site is 24.62.231.150) also if you have any idea about the hub thing in the original post as to why i didn't have internet but the computer on the router did i would LOVE to hear from you.

i just noticed in csamuels repy that he said i would use the ip 127.0.0.1:8080 to get to my page. i originally thought this was just an ip that i would replace with the router ip to get to the site but then i tried it and it worked!:D I was used to typing http://localhost to get to my page but now i get the same message as i do when i try the router ip. would anybody care to explain what that ip is.

For some reason i get the feeling you didn't really understand the setup discribed in my first post so i made some creative pictures to help you out!:)
normalconf.bmp
This is my normal configureation.

This,
altconf.bmp

is my alternate configuration. When i set this up my comp had a seperate ip from the router and when i typed that into the url box it got to my website fine. However i was not able to access the internet from my comp in this configuration. The thing i can't figure out is why the computer attached to the router was still able to access the internet.
Hope i have explained it a little better and thanks for explaining that loopback adress thing:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom