Pc Struck By Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blewandowski_69

In Runtime
Hey all, my dads pc is plugged right into the wall which allows him no security from getting it fried when a lightning bolt strikes down a telephone pole nearby in a thunderstorm. I turned off my pc thank goodness but my little brothers and sisters didnt do the same now it just shows the blue screen of DEATH as many of us would call it after they were able to play on it a day after it happened. So my question is this, whats the problem here, is it just windows or hardware failure? I dont think the info on that blue screen tells me anythign useful.

Any help or direction is helpful.

P.S. my dads pc is a dell refurbished system.

My parents computer got hit by lightning about a few months back, with a power strip hooked up.

It said "drive failure", so i had to set it up to boot to HD, instead of floppy, CD, then HD.

Ya, but it affects software when the lightening fries hardware and the software (XP) tries to prevent the pc from booting to prevent more problems. ;)

It could pass through the psu and send a spike into the hard drive causing data corruption. Not total loss but enough to be an issue trying to boot.

Let's see, BSOD. Can you get into BIOS? If so, then video works and the motherboard atleast partially works. If you can't, then it could be video, the motherboard, the RAM, the CPU... maybe all of it.

First of all, when does the BSOD appear? right when you boot up XP or randomly while you're using it. Second, is it always the same msg? If so, what is the error msg the BSOD displayed? Alot of the time, the error msg will point you right to the failed component.

A bunch of things could have been fried...which makes it a game in finding dead parts....

You need a good powerstrip with a fuse....so it pops out on an overload....but lightning can also jump...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom