PC messed up

handell35

Beta member
I'm trying to fix a PC for a friend. Compaq Presario S6000CL the PC sometimes will boot farther then others then freeze. The farthest I've had a boot was completely into safe-mode. I have tried replacing the RAM and booting from a live CD and only to have the same problem of freezing in boot. I'm not real sure at this point maybe thinking trying another HDD, another friend of mine says its boat anchor at this point.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to the site!

Freezing is the least helpful of symptoms because it's not indicative of any one problem :(. If you have tried to boot from a live CD and had the same result, you can pretty much rule out a software issue. The best thing to do is replace each component, one at a time, with a known working component and test. Once you find the the potential problem piece of hardware, test that in a working machine to see if the same problem (or other problems) arise on an otherwise working PC.

Since you're familiar with LiveCDs already, grab a copy of Download Hiren and run the MemTest from the front page. If that passes OK and doesn't lock up, get into the hard drive tools and run GWSCAN (it's about two-three menus deep) and do a full scan on the drive. Even a connected drive can sometimes cause lockup issues even when booting from the CD.

Back
Top Bottom