Pc keeps on switching itself off

paladax

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I just recently purchased some bits to build a new computer and I'm having a bit of a problem. It keeps on just powering off randomly though I have disconnected and reconnected every bit on the M/b without any luck. Even if I take it into the Bios or boot off of a cd after a few minutes it will just switch off. There doesn't seem to be any constant variable to causing it to switch off and even the amount of time it stays switched on seems a little random. I have gone into Bios H/W monitor and the CPU doesn't go above 82 degrees. I have tried disconnecting almost all the power connectors apart from the M/B, CPU and Graphics card connectors and still it switchs off so I know it's not a lack of power. The light on the M/B also stays constantly on throughout all of this.

The only thing I can think it might be is either the PSU or the M/B itself. Anyone got any ideas I can try?

Here is what I have:
500W EarthWatts PSU
ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-1066
Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 256bit

Whats the CPU temperature in the BIOS reading?

Also make sure that the BIOS isn't in an unstable OC state. Go in to the BOIS and load up default settings.

The CPU temp is 82 Degrees F in the Bios. I already loaded the Bios defaults.

I could download a diagnoses tool I am sure but I doubt the pc would stay on long enough for me to run it properly.

its because yours cpu is over heating, you need to SWITCH THAT OFF! NOW!!!!!!

sorry double post but i had to get the message threw quick, thats hot man thats hot hot hot, are you gonner make me a steak on that cpu?, right man, make sure you have a heatsink on your cpu and make sure its connected.

if its all correct you need to make sure the fan is spinning.

tell me

?? 28°C that's not hot

I'd be more inclined to be looking at the psu

I had a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W go bad, it just randomly shut down, no blue screen just shut down, sounds very similar to me.

EDIT: Can you try a different psu?

No worries mate, you had his best interests at heart. ;)

@ OP if you can't try another psu can you at least test yours with a multimeter.

EDIT: Test the 12v, you can do this from a molex plug.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
Well I am trying to find another PSU to try but my old one's M/B connector is smaller than this so I doubt I will be able to find one to test with.
The thing is that the power supply came with the case and I'm afraid they may make me send back the whole thing which would be a pain.

I suppose I could always buy a cheap PSU to test with. But other than that any other recommendations? And I don't have access to a multimeter anymore ATF. :(

I would try running it out of the case on an anti static bag or on a piece of wood just to make sure it is not the mobo touching the case. It could be so close that it will turn off at random times when mobo hits the case from vibrations. Also see if you could use a friends PSU if you can't find one on your own without spending money.

Back
Top Bottom