PC "hibernates" overnight with all power saving settings disabled? Windows XP.

Hektikk

Beta member
Hey all, this is my first thread here. I am attempting to troubleshoot this PC and it has stumped me! The PC, according to the user, "goes to sleep" overnight and when they "wake it up" there is no LAN connection. In order to resolved their issue, they have to restart their system and then everything is dandy.

Furthermore, at around 4-5pm everyday, apparently they can not print? The PC that can not print during those times is not connected to a domain or anything of that sort that has the capabilities of time restricting such services. Unless XP itself does have something like that built-in to it that I completely overlooked?

Anyways, to troubleshoot this matter. I checked all the power saving settings under the control panel and everything was set to stay on. Hibernate was also deselected so therefore the software should not be utilizing it. I also went into the device manager and checked power saving settings within each device. Everything was set to not allow to turn off to save power.

The only setting I did change on one of the PCs is under the Network Adapter in device manger. I changed the WOL setting to "auto" instead of disable in hopes that if the computer would at least have a LAN connection upon waking. However, this does not solve the issue because we do not want the PCs hibernating at all.

One last thing, I did check the ACPI in BIOS because I did see that sometimes that could conflict with the OS power settings. I attempted to disable it on one of the PCs and got stuck in a boot loop so I reenabled it.

I hope this explains my situation thoroughly and if more information is needed please ask.

Did you go in Device Manager, and go to the network adapter, and unclick "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"?

I had problems similar to that. It fixes it in most cases.

Not sure about the printer bit.

Did you go in Device Manager, and go to the network adapter, and unclick "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"?

I had problems similar to that. It fixes it in most cases.

Not sure about the printer bit.

Yessir, I also went over many of the other devices within the device manager to make sure the same was unchecked.

When the computer wakes up, is there still a driver in Device Manager?

I had ethernet ports go bad on me. They just worked "sometimes". I just get a PCI one and it works wonders.

When the computer wakes up, is there still a driver in Device Manager?

I had ethernet ports go bad on me. They just worked "sometimes". I just get a PCI one and it works wonders.

I have not been able to check that to be honest because I was troubleshooting this PC on-site and the user already restarts the system every morning because they have to start working.

However, this issue is happening on two PCs. So, unless both of the PCs ethernet ports are going bad at the same time, which is possible.. I do not think that is the case. However it could be.

New information. I just found out that the PCs have ghosted HDs, therefore if we fix the problem on one, it 'should' be the same fix on the other.

Back
Top Bottom