pc help

telford

Beta member
iv been trying to turn on my pc but it just switches right back off and the screen says no video output. it was fine when i closed it down last night.

does anyone have an advice?

how far does it get before it switches off? And by "switches off", do you mean the whole computer or just the monitor itself?

yea how far does it get?
if it turns off during the POST, then it could be a hardware problem. if it does it during the os loading screen then it could be either hw or sw.

when i switch it on it starts to power up then just cuts out and nothing comes up on the screen aprt from "no video output"

could be a video card problem...and if not that...then the PSU.

Check the PSU, make sure you are getting the right power to all the components...see if you can test another PSU or test the PSU u have in another pc.

im clueless when it comes to pc's so i dont know what a PSU is, i take it that is what powers it up? This has happened before and a friend told me to take 2 bits out (memory i think) and restart then shut down and replace them and it worked, this time it hasnt

PSU = Powersupply. the box in the computer with all the cables...that yes powers on the whole system.
That could be your problem...aka its a broken powersupply. either try using another PSU....or test the PSU thats in the computer right now on another PC (if possible).

or

try another video card, since you are saying you are getting a video error message, could be a damaged video card too.

well its not a new pc its a custom build from bits my friend had so ill take both of them into consideration and try and see if i can get spare bits from somewhere.

on another note it freezes on a regular basis, do you think this could be linked?

on another note it freezes on a regular basis, do you think this could be linked?

yes...
it possibly could be linked...i wouldn't say forsure tho. See if you can get the pc back up in a running state...and then go through the sytem log files...in event viewer and see if there are any error message etc.

Freezing could be a good chance of hardware failure...or a cause of hardware beginning to fail.
Try the PSU and video card first...and then if they don't work...then you know its something more...aka the motherboard. you said you got these pieces from a friend...aka no brand new...and probably used a lot...therefore the parts could be failing on you...very good possibility.
If you want further help on this...maybe from someone a lot more experianced from me in this area of computers...post your computers specs, like Processor, RAM, motherboard,...etc.
Well thats about all i can recommend to you and tell you...try it out and see if it fixes the problem.
I'm sure someone else might have some other fixes to offer you too!

Back
Top Bottom