pc freezing !!!!!!!!!!!

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
my pc has started freezing up just lately. if i leave it alone fr 10 mins it will freeze. if i leave music playing on it, its ok and does not freeze. it is getting slightly more regular with the freezing. i used to leave it on all day without a problem. but now 30mins max
i have read somewhere that it might be currupt files on my hard drive. is this a probable reason. i am a complete novice with pcs, if the solution is complicated i may not be able to deal with it. could you let me know if it is likelyto be the corrupt files, and could a novice remedy it.

wozelbeak

well my pc dont freeze becuase i leave it in my house not outside, try that (lol). Wll first find out what file is missing then search 4 it on the web the put it on disk then put it in your pc and put it back were it was u may have to reformat it mate.

you kill me cobra, i nearly laughed myself off my chair.
i don't think re-formating is the solution just yet is it? seems a bit radical.

Well, could you have some sort of suspend or something that's trying to kick in? Maybe you could try to disable some of your programs running in the background(Run MSCONFIG, or even DL it if you have 2000 or XP)

hi dynamics,
im running xp pro with a 2.66 p4 chip and 256 mb ram.
i have run the pc for four hours playing music, but as soon as i turn it off and leave p.c idol it will freeze.
i am sure i can solve this without formating. is there anything i can run to check for corrupt files on my hard drive?

sorry the other one, missed your post. is it safe to dl it? i take it you mean deleat it? there are about 60 items in the service section of my msconfig is it safe to remove any of them?
wozelbeak

wozelbeak, about the MSCONFIG ...you can untic the boxes to the programs you don't need booting up in the start menu...

And before you do something rash, like re-formatt
you might try booting to safe mode, and running

the defrag. on the hhd...this will make the
program's on yer comp. and you also might want to do a SFC (system file checker)

1st run the defrag, then after that's done , empty the pre-fetch folder in windows.

Try the above 1st, if all else doe'nt resovle the freeze...Do a SFC on your comp., but you must disable the anti-virur 1st.

To do this click start/run/ type"sfc" without the quotes...

This will scan your hhd, and check it's programs to make shure they are not missing or corrupted.

One thing to remember though when using this function....Once you make a desision to keep or delete a file it is gone for good.

"you can tell it to do it automatically" this will be safer.

Back
Top Bottom