PC for the Valve Index

Filerist

Solid State Member
Hello,

We will be opening a VR gaming store and I would like recommendations for a PC build that would be cheap, but with the performance to play the games on it.

Thank you in advance.

For starters, check this article:
https://www.octopusrift.com/valve-i... 1 Dual core,of RAM 3 NVIDIA 970 or AMD RX480

The 5700XT is a decent stand-in for the 1070 recommended as it is more powerful than the 1070. The Ryzen 3600 is a great chip but you could go for less as the recommended is a quad; you could use an earlier gen Ryzen if the prices are better, such as a 1600 or such. While the 550/570 boards are the latest and greatest I would recommend a B450 board as there is no need for PCIe gen4. Go with a minimum of 16GB or RAM as I know from experience that 8GB is a bare minimum for gaming but it will restrict gaming as well. You should be fine with the stock cooler if you aren't overclocking.

So, basically:
Ryzen 5 3600 or lower if the price is right
B450 motherboard
2x4GB DDR4 RAM 3200 or faster
1TB SSD, preferably M.2 with a read of 1800+
5700XT
650W PSU
Case with good airflow

Intel isn't needed.

Minimum I would go is a Ryzen 3600, and RTX 2080 or 5700XT. Minimum of 16GB of RAM, and with Ryzen, 3600MHz RAM.

I'm speaking from experience since I own the original Vive and a Vive Pro. My 2500k and Titan X struggled which is essentially a 3100 and 1070. The Valve Index is even higher res, it needs the GPU horsepower. Especially for titles like Alyx. Another thing to remember is newer VR titles use supersampling to reduce screen door effect and that takes even more power.

VR machine and cheap shouldn't be in the same sentence, especially if this is meant to power a system that costs over a grand being ran in a VR shop.

Intel isn't needed.

Minimum I would go is a Ryzen 3600, and RTX 2080 or 5700XT. Minimum of 16GB of RAM, and with Ryzen, 3600MHz RAM.

I'm speaking from experience since I own the original Vive and a Vive Pro. My 2500k and Titan X struggled which is essentially a 3100 and 1070. The Valve Index is even higher res, it needs the GPU horsepower. Especially for titles like Alyx. Another thing to remember is newer VR titles use supersampling to reduce screen door effect and that takes even more power.

VR machine and cheap shouldn't be in the same sentence, especially if this is meant to power a system that costs over a grand being ran in a VR shop.

I beg to differ. If it was me i would go with the i7 and the 2080ti

You said " Intel isn't needed". Are you admitting that intel CPU's are superior? :) )

And as for the RAM Minimum 16gb is definitely right. ( it's sorta funny because in really old games (I'm talkin really old games) if you look at the specs they recommend 16mb of ram sorta funny that we are recommending 16gb of ram, haeck if i had of said i had 16gb of ram 30 years ago it would be like me saying i had 16tb of ram now... Just a random ram rant... )

Funny, some guy on another forum asked if he could do VR on a Pentium. I just laugh...

Last edited:
I beg to differ. If it was me i would go with the i7 and the 2080ti

You said " Intel isn't needed". Are you admitting that intel CPU's are superior? :) )

So you obviously prefer Intel.

I am pretty sure PP is talking performance for the dollar. Cost for identical cost you come out ahead with Ryzen now, and the extra cores/threads will be of benefit for the games.

So you obviously prefer Intel...
Always, unfortunately i cannot recommend AMD to anyone without losing a least a week of sleep, stick with the 6 core i5 and you can't go wrong

I am pretty sure PP is talking performance for the dollar. Cost for identical cost you come out ahead with Ryzen now, and the extra cores/threads will be of benefit for the games.
Interesting. Do you know of any articles?
Another problem i have with AMD is i have no idea what is what, everybody always talks about the 2490x and things like that but i have no idea if that is a good CPU or not whereas with intel it is more clear so if anyone knows of a article to explain it shoot me one of those

Always, unfortunately i cannot recommend AMD to anyone without losing a least a week of sleep, stick with the 6 core i5 and you can't go wrong

Things have changed.

Interesting. Do you know of any articles?
Another problem i have with AMD is i have no idea what is what, everybody always talks about the 2490x and things like that but i have no idea if that is a good CPU or not whereas with intel it is more clear so if anyone knows of a article to explain it shoot me one of those

I would recommend checking out Jayztwocents, Bitwit, Linus. They have all been won over. Jay especially has some good videos about how things have changed.

Basically the 1000 series are first gen Ryzen, with the higher the number the more powerful and more cores/threads for the most part. The 2000 series is gen 1.5, or 1+. The 3000 series is gen 2. If the number has a G behind it then it is an APU (has inbuilt graphics). The APUs are actually a generation behind their number (my wife's 3200G is actually an gen 1+ chip).

Back
Top Bottom