PC compatibility help needed for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantes903

Solid State Member
Post Preview:
I recently got this computer and my son wants to play games on it. We got the Madagascar game and when we install it everything looks ok and the intro even plays. We can hear the music for the beginning of the game but then everything freezes on a black screen...no picture and no sound. Ctl, Alt, del won't work either.

I have an Intel graphics driver and have a log that I got from an Intel identification utility which shows what is "under the hood".

I really don't know what I'm looking at when I look at the different drivers and stuff. I did go to the Intel site and (I think) I updated the driver.

If anyone can give me any advice or ANYTHING I would really appreciate it. I can post the log if that would help too.

Christy

What kind of computer did you get and what is in it? How fast is it? Either you processor is not good enough for the game or the graphic card. It could be the memory also becuase bad memory can sometime cause the computer to freeze. I am guessing it is probably the graphic card.

Hey-

I'm not sure what all of this is but this is what the Intel ID utility gave me:

Oh, and I have a HP Pavilion f1503.

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
Version: 2.0.20050602
Time Stamp: 2005/06/09 23:09:45
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 2
Stepping: 9
Revision: 21
L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
L1 Data Cache: 8 KB
L2 Cache: 512 KB
Packaging: FC-PGA2
EIST: No
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: No
Enhanced Halt State: No
Execute Disable Bit: No
Hyper-Threading Technology: No
Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology: No
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 400 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 400 MHz

Update DirectX. get DirectX 9.0c off of microsoft's website. if that doesn't work, you need a new video card. because of this, "Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology" i'm thinking that its either a 32MB video card and it can't handle the game, or the card is 32-bit. either way, if updating DirectX doesn't fix it, your going to need to buy a new video card because its having DirectDraw issues.

Yes, switch is right, if updating Direct X doesnt work, then you'll need a need video card (graphics card, same thing). Are you planning on playing a bunch of games on your computer? Well, are your kids I mean, and if so, what kind of games? I ask because if they are going to play new, demanding games such as Half-Life 2 then you'll need a good video card. You have a decent processer for gaming, so that'll be fine.

If you/you're kids will just play simple games such as Madagascar, then you won't need to spend $100+ on a good card, you'll probably just need a $50 one. Just let us know what you are planning on doing, and we could give you some recommendations on what to buy! :D

Oh, and by the way, that's not a computer. (HP Pavilion f1503)
That's just a moniter, I google'd it to see you're full specs, and its just a moniter. Look on your actual computer to see what number/model it is. :)

Thanks for the advice! Sorry about putting the monitor on the computer type instead of the actual machine! My bad on that one. :eek:

I went into the Compatibility Wizard on my computer (never knew I had it...just found out about it yesterday) and I used it on Madagascar and low and behold...it works now!

My sons are the ones who play most of the games on my computers and my oldest is only 4 1/2 so we mostly use simple games like Madagascar or some learning games..stuff like that. So we don't need to worry about games like Half Life or anything (yet :)).

I appreciate y'alls input and will look into getting a better video card as the need arises.

Cool! I'm glad you found the problem. Anytime you need any advice on anything, just come on in, and we'll help! Don't be shy if you want to know what to buy or "what does this do" and stuff. We'd be glad to give you some links on what to buy and give some advice. Hope your kids have fun with Madagascar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom