Pc cleaning methods

Nawabu.u

Beta member
1.How to clean motherboard,ram,ramslot,psu
if compressed air can is not available?
2.What is the cost effective pc cleaning method for pc hardware shops?
Because compressed air can is the best method for pc cleaning.but it can completely clean upto two pcs maximum.
3.how to clean laptop and desktop screen,laptop vents?

It's not the best method because if used incorrectly it can cause condensation build up. Low pressure air compressor will do the same, small soft bristle brush, and a vacuum.

Vacuums can cause a static discharge, If used properly, a can of compressed air (usually C02 or something like that) should work well as well as an air compressor. They do have water separators for regular air compressors. If you use canned air do not tip the can, leave it upright at all times while blowing out the dust.

Water separator:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2110Y0?tag=compressors06-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
Vacuums can cause a static discharge
Has never happened in over 15 years of using one for me. The likelihood of that happening is scarce compared to somebody not aiming canned air right. I've seen that countless times even working around "professionals". On the flip side, it's way more probable for somebody to blow a cap off with an air compressor that's set too high and I have seen that too. Was quite hilarious actually.

Linus made a video with that shock guy, it's pretty clear it would take quite a bit of static discharge to kill a machine or individual component.

O.K. Just try to keep im mind that a 3 or 5 volt ic chip getting just a couple hundred volts of a static discharge will damage that chip. You can not feel or even know if a 200 volt discharge even happened until your pc refuses to boot. Just some personal facts that I prefer to live by. Your welcome to use any method you like, just pointing out some personal info is all. The static you feel from grabbing your door knob measures in the 1000's of volts that it takes to jump through the air from your hand to the knob.
I suppose that if someone is stupid enough to blow a 100 psi on a mobo, then he gets what he deserves

Last edited:
The most efficient (redneck) way to clean a motherboard:
Use a 3/4 hp power drill to remove all the screws holding the board to the plate, no need to disconnect all them wires cuz they'll fall off when enough pressure is applied to remove the board. If the i/o plate gets bent do not worry because they are not that useful any. Throw the board into the back of your pick up. This is very inportant cuz the motion through the air and the striking of the board off the spare tires in the back knocks off a majority of dust and food particles. Bring a handful of slugs or if your employed use quarters and head on down to your local car wersh. Connect your jumper cables to the board! Please do not forget this step because you'll be chasing that board all the way down that holler if you don't do that!. Add you slugs into the car wersh machine and set to the "wersh" cycle. Carefully aim directly at your motherboard and pull the trigger fully. The blast will clean everything off your board! and it will be the cleanest board in the entire county. Leave the jumper cable on the board and hang it over the chain where the tail gate used to be so it will be perfectly dry by the time you get home.
Then head on over to your local used pc place and buy another (clean) motherboard in case that one does not work.

Last edited:
O.K. Just try to keep im mind that a 3 or 5 volt ic chip getting just a couple hundred volts of a static discharge will damage that chip. You can not feel or even know if a 200 volt discharge even happened until your pc refuses to boot. Just some personal facts that I prefer to live by. Your welcome to use any method you like, just pointing out some personal info is all. The static you feel from grabbing your door knob measures in the 1000's of volts that it takes to jump through the air from your hand to the knob.
I suppose that if someone is stupid enough to blow a 100 psi on a mobo, then he gets what he deserves
Yea I'm well aware, the problem most don't understand is the resiliency of the hardware in the topic and the likelihood of said vacuum bristles accumulating enough static to actually discharge without ground (or doing it my way and using a seperate brush to agitate the dust and the vacuum sucking up what's put in the air). It is way more common for somebody to shock their new parts during the building process with their fingers or clothing than with the vacuum. Again, Linus already put this to the test and it took a magnitude of current with ground to properly kill a single RAM stick and anything they tried to kill with their bodies as the conduit failed to kill the product. Attempting to shock the turned on and actively grounded machine failed to kill the product. The only time they were able to actually kill something was a best case scenario.

Look I'm not trying to argue the validity of the claim because it technically is possible, but what I am arguing is the probability of it being a nice wives tale over the years because it's been repeated time and time again like most tech "common knowledge". Hardware of today is exceptionally more resilient compared to hardware from say the 90s. I liken this to the age old argument of it being relatively unsafe to have a machine with an expired OS active on your network due to "security updates". To me, one in the same. Only plausible. The science is there, but still highly unlikely. I say this simply because I am best case scenario for both. 98 and XP both get active on my network, and I live in a low humidity environment during the winter where all the previous houses I've lived in used electric heating that drops the humidity level inside to the teens. Vacuum clean, check, old OS on network AND hit the internet? Check. Still fine? Check.
I watched one take flight with only 40psi (probably weak solder....it was an MSI board after all). Luckily big bulky caps on boards is a thing of the past now that VRM circuitry is digital.

There is a guy that when he gets a computer that hasn't been cleaned for a long time, uses a leaf blower to clean out the worst of the dust and dirt before he would look to see what was wrong with the unit. It works. Next time my nephew comes to me with a shut down mode and continues with that i am going to try that. Myself i clean out my filters when i start to see any build up. I turn off the computer and after the unit is un-plugged i can hit the start button. That usually takes stray voltage. Then i can take the filters off and clean them and then the cpu, mb, ram and psu. On average i do this every month. My computer is on 24/7. Thats the very best i can do to keep it in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom