PC and electricity bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas lately my electricity bill has went up and my mom is blaming me and my pc. I have the following:

e4300
seasonic 600W s12 power supply
8800gtx
2X1024 xms2 pc6400c4
armour 8000 case
samsung 226bw 22inch monitor
Logitech X-540 speakers
p5b deluxe wifi mobo
zalman 9500led heatsink

I leave my baby on 5-8 hours on a day and then I put it to "SLEEP" mode when not using it. My other question is, would leaving pc on for long periods of time reduce its lifespan? Do you guys think my system is sucking a lot of power and making my bills rise?

Leaving it on for long periods of time, doesn't have a significant effect on it's lifespan.

That's a really nice system you have there.

the lengths of time you're leaving it on it is going to have an impact on the bill, yes. PC's take a lot of power these days, that's the way it is. Slip your mom some cash and tell her to forget about it.

It will increase the bill, but not by a whole lot, Mainly the hardest things on electricity in your house are appliances/items that have heating coils. If you were using the cloths dryer, stove, small heaters or a hair dryer (those things can suck up 1500 watts+) more than usual that could also have an impact on the bill.

@BMX Depending on where you live it can cost about $16 - 20 per month.

just add up the wattage of all the parts that have cables that plug into the wall.. Screen, PSU, printer etc.. divide the result by 1000to give kW and multiply by your power unit cost.

Power is usually measured in Kilowatt hours.

Watts x Hours Used /1000 x Cost per kilowatt-hour = Total Cost

Lol back home we dont pay for electricity... you dont know how lucky you are until you leave.

yeah but those things don't run 5-8 hours a day and then go into standby... it adds up. on the whole your PC probably draws about 200w whilst on (avg) so you can do the math.

But a dryer on for an hour or 2 would kill the power usage of a PC for a day. A dryer can draw 1800-5000 watts an hour. Depending on what kind your using of course. Thats why I said if your using it more than usual it could have an impact.

the computer wont draw that much power. electricity is practical free for the amount of work it does.

dang....I leave two comps on 100% load, 24/7....I don't want to even want to look at the electricity usage, on the bill. But at least my parents pay a flat rate every month. Also, electronics take electricity, when it is off and still plugged into the wall. I just unplug whatever I'm not using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom