password

You choose your username, then you choose a password for that username. Done!

...or alternatively if that's not what you want you're going to have to be far clearer and more specific. What exactly is the problem, what have you tried and why hasn't it worked?

being that this threads in web programming....
how do a set up a user pass word system on my site

do you want one area with a common password that you'd give to all users

do you want one admin type area that only you have access to

do you want multiple users to log onto a common area, (members area)

do you want multiple users with multiple different usernames etc to be able to log into individual portals.

what server doe you use (APACHE IIS etc)
what languages are available on the server (PHP, ASP, ASPX, PERL,)
are you able to put CGI programs on the server to interpret pages?

uhhh one common password would work
and tbh i have no idea.........

Well - you need to at least find out some of the questions to the above before anyone can give any sensible advice.

Most importantly, can you run PHP on your server and have you got access to a MySQL database? You'll preferably need those two, and definitely need some form of server side scripting such as PHP available.

for a common password you could see if your host will allow you to use a .htaccess file to password protect a given folder with pages in it.

else you really want to use a script language to connect to a database to do the logins.

If you have a language, (such as PHP), but no access to a database you could store your passwords in a plain text file (but I really don't recommend that).

If you have a language, (such as PHP), but no access to a database you could store your passwords in a plain text file (but I really don't recommend that).
You wouldn't have to store them in plain text - you could use some form of one time pad so if anyone gets access to the text file, they'll be usless unless they get hold of the PHP code as well.

Back
Top Bottom