Partition Issues- In preparation for Windows 10 from 8.1

The latter you don't need to do manually - you can recreate the boot/system info with the Windows install disc.

But like I said its more fun to do manually... otherwise Id just back up and start from scratch given the HDD is from vista... :cool:

I have the one I created on my USB from the Windows site because the windows 10 app refuses to let me upgrade yet. I heard it's safer to do it through the in-house upgrade though (Something to do with keys/licenses not being activated through the ISO/USB?)

I have the one I created on my USB from the Windows site because the windows 10 app refuses to let me upgrade yet. I heard it's safer to do it through the in-house upgrade though (Something to do with keys/licenses not being activated through the ISO/USB?)

If you have a valid Win7/Win8 license then you can ugprade - once upgrade is complete, then your copy of Win10 will auto-activate. Then you can do a clean install if you want (either by reformatting or by using the Reset option under Settings -> Updates & Recovery -> Recovery).

Awesome. I'm gonna give it a go now. Hopefully I'll be back soon.....if at all...
Wish me luck. Thanks everyone for your help and reassurances! :)

Well. Mixed results to be honest.
Installed Windows 10, activated. Performed a clean install, formatting and deleting old partitions in the process. Installed clean Windows 10 and booted, ran fine, had to install some Windows updates so did that and turned off my computer to go to bed. Come down this morning and the power button does nothing. The green power LED on the back is lit, but the button does nothing.
How did I know it wasn't going to be that simple?

Tried resetting BIOS? Made sure all connections are still tight? Tried removing all hardware except essential (1 stick of RAM, video card if your motherboard doesn't have integrated video, PSU, and CPU).

Well Carnage, all that sounds like fun except once I got home today I took a long look at the brick sitting in my room, gave a long hard sigh, and thought; What would Roy do?
giphy.gif

Thanks to every single one of you who offered their help.
I posted this problem on about 3 different forums and I have to say, you guys were the friendliest and most helpful strangers I've met on the internet. It's all installed, working perfectly and I'm actually quite enjoying Win10, I haven't got a clue what was wrong with it this morning, but I took it apart, gave it a blow and a vacuum and once reassembled, somehow it was working.
So once again, thanks everyone! :D

^ Love the IT Crowd :lol:

Glad to hear you got it working! Glad to hear you like it around here as well - hopefully you plan on sticking around! :)

Back
Top Bottom