partition for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingdong-man

Baseband Member
i'm using laptop with 40G... 30 drive c, and 10 drive d, OS = winxp, but now trying to get linux / unix. i have partition magic 8.0, but i'm still aware about what would unexpectedly happen. should it be ok if i divide the drive c for linux or unix ? (i afraid it'll erase something important) . how many Gig do you think is the best for the system of the OS.....

can i make the drive d capacity bigger without deleting or risking the files inside?

thnx for help....

Get at least 10GB for Linux, and you'll need a swap partition as well, which should be about twice your RAM size.

I agree with everything but the ram statement. if you have 1gig of ram and your using a full 2gig swat partition you have a problem. I would go with same size, but thats just me. ok maybe a little more if you feel the need.

Don't give me that Linux doesn't group it's tasks together Fedora alone recommends 900 meg for ram as a minimum and I'd go with twice the ram. Here is the best partitions you can make.

/boot --> about 50-100 MB
swap --> at least twice the amount of RAM you have
/ --> 20% of the rest
/usr --> 30% of the rest
/var --> 20% of the rest
/opt --> 10% of the rest
/home --> 20% of the rest

Another good alternative:
/boot --> about 50-100 MB
swap --> at least twice the amount of RAM you have
/ --> 25% of the rest
/usr --> 30% of the rest
/var --> 20% of the rest
/home --> 25% of the rest

is there something significant to consider to choose the Linuxs if the intention is to learn unix system? which linux is better to learn unix?

how could i get the things? thnx for help....

i'm using laptop with 256 DDR ram... so is that would be ok if i set the swap for 256 MB? actually is this important? what the function??

thnx for help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom