P4 Running Hot...Suggestions...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, I finally got parts to throw two used systems together. The system this post is referring to is a P4 system.

I ordered a brand new 775 mobo from geeks.com and a used P4 3.2Ghz off of eBay. I re-used the optical drive and the HDD from the system and it's also still in the same case and also has the 500W psu I put in it a while back. Anyways, I got it all thrown together last night and turned it on and it was instantly running at 60*C. The max temp for my particular one is 67.7* so I'm a bit worried since the 60* was just in the BIOS...no load or anything. I'm using an intel stock cooler that came with my E8400...and I used A.C. MX-2 on it.

Anyways....what are your thoughts?

Should I just pull it and re-seat? Hate to waste the fresh MX-2 but I gotta get 'er cooled down. I've even had the side cover off just to see if it was an airflow issue but I don't think it is. BTW, the H.S. was very hot to the touch, so I think it's making decent contact. And the fan RPMs are about 900 I believe...but it's new so that's not the issue...

Let me know.

The fan is spinning much to slowly. It should be humming along at 1000 rpm+. Do you have the fan plugged into the correct header? It's usually marked CPU_FN or FAN1.

I thought Pentium chips just ran hot. An after market heatsink should do the trick. Try the Xigmatek HDT S1283 or the Arctic Freezer for a quick and easy fix.

Very good call Atomic. For some reason the CPU fan header only lets the fan spin at half-speed. As soon as I plugged it into the Case Fan header it was zipping along at 1650 RPM! Thanks so much. I'll monitor temps and make sure they stay down. Yay!

Rohan: Sorry...budget build...no aftermarket cooling for this one. If I was going to keep it, maybe...but it's staying in the family and going to my G-ma's while her old socket 478 P4 is getting sold. Thanks though! I totally agree. If I had to buy an HSF, I'd just grab another Xiggy.

If the fan is 4 pin and the CPU fan connector on the motherboard is, as well, it might have been due to the COU fan control settings in the BIOS.

Prodigy, I mentioned in my original post that I used A.C. MX-2...it's some of the best stuff around.

BTW, AR solved my problem already...it was the header cutting RPMs

I'm using an intel stock cooler that came with my E8400...and I used A.C. MX-2 on it.
The stock cooler for the 45nms is a lot smaller than old Intel stock cooler, look here:

000000066293.jpg

Like AR said, try turning the fans speed right up.

EDITL Oh, wait...

Haha..I love how this thread is solved and everyone keeps trying to help :D

But yes...I know how small the new HSFs were for the 45nms...which is precisely why I never used it (until on this build)...I slapped on my old HSF from my E6420 (which was the size of the picture on the right) on my E8400 when I first got it before I got my Xiggy because the one from the E6420 had a copper core and the new one does not.

Needless to say, my temps are idling at about 40*...which is perfectly normal for a P4, in my book.

Back
Top Bottom