P3 vs P4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pentium 3 had a 14 stage pipeline which could process approximately 3 instructions per clock, whereas the Pentium 4 had a 31 stage pipeline which could process approximately 2 instructions per clock.

The Pentium 4 was given a lot of cache, and a high bus speed, which improved it a little generally. But it was still significantly behind the Pentium 3 per-clock.

The Pentium 4 basically was designed to clock high.

i rember getting an 800mhz p3 with a vodooo card, my dad had purchased it from IBM costed him around 4k it was an insane computer back then, i remember playing turok and free space 2 on it dam i miss those days. and it ran windows 98 we thought it was the best operating system ever. then i remember my uncle getting a similar computer to ours but with a p4 and eh said he never liked it, and i remember him and my father saying things will never get any faster because we would never need it, here we are with duel core 4.8ghz over clocked chips. bu i guesse i can thank my father for havign tha p3 all the way up until 2005 lol its what made me build my first system because it wouldnt run guild wars, but then i whent crazy. first build was an asus a8n5x with a amd 3200+ and an msi nx6600gt and 512mb of ram. i ended up going to 1.5gb of ram picking up an amd4000+ instead of a x2 because at the time the 4000+ was faster, and a 7900gt. which turned into a 7950gt magicaly via rma. i will always praise that p3 and always acknowledge its performence. im technicaly on the second maybe even third stage of this build, which was orginilay a maximus formula and my 7950gt still, then i traded with third shift for an 8800gts and bought this 750iftw. and i supose i could call this the third stage goign sli, and gettign new ram. anyway i know im off topic but the point of this story is p3 is legendary.

i rember getting an 800mhz p3 with a vodooo card, my dad had purchased it from IBM costed him around 4k it was an insane computer back then, i remember playing turok and free space 2 on it dam i miss those days. and it ran windows 98 we thought it was the best operating system ever. then i remember my uncle getting a similar computer to ours but with a p4 and eh said he never liked it, and i remember him and my father saying things will never get any faster because we would never need it, here we are with duel core 4.8ghz over clocked chips. bu i guesse i can thank my father for havign tha p3 all the way up until 2005 lol its what made me build my first system because it wouldnt run guild wars, but then i whent crazy. first build was an asus a8n5x with a amd 3200+ and an msi nx6600gt and 512mb of ram. i ended up going to 1.5gb of ram picking up an amd4000+ instead of a x2 because at the time the 4000+ was faster, and a 7900gt. which turned into a 7950gt magicaly via rma. i will always praise that p3 and always acknowledge its performence. im technicaly on the second maybe even third stage of this build, which was orginilay a maximus formula and my 7950gt still, then i traded with third shift for an 8800gts and bought this 750iftw. and i supose i could call this the third stage goign sli, and gettign new ram. anyway i know im off topic but the point of this story is p3 is legendary.
People didn't really know about the Athlon, then.
When AMD made the Athlon, they really gave the Pentium 3's a run for their money. It's what forced Intel to make a new CPU.
Which was the Pentium 4.
Yeah, not really that great to begin with.
It only became competitive in the mid-stages of its life (Northwood, really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom