OWC Mercury 250 Gig HD Problem

Kimon

Solid State Member
Hey all, I'm having a problem with my external hard drive and I'd appreciate some help. I used the hard drive all year at the computer library at my college (which was all Macs), but here at home I have a PC, and my Mercury hard drive isn't recognized. The PC tells me that the drive is installed and ready to use, but it doesn't show up in My Computer. A friend told me I have to format the hard drive to work for a PC, but I have no idea where to start with that. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hum...you can't see it at all? I'm not sure about Macs, but see if you can do a right click (the one where you hold the control/apple [no idea what it's called] down) and see if you can find a format drive. On Windows that's how it is, but you said you can't see it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't show up at all, so nothing to click... thanks anyways though.

Anybody else? I really need some help, I have a lot of files to transfer from my home PC to my laptop and this hard drive is crucial in that process.

It is because the macos uses a differant file system.
you friend is right, you have to reformat the drive. but the only problem is that you will lose all of your data

As above but you will loose your info if you do the following...

Try this

Click on Start.
Right Click on My Computer.
Click Manage.
In the big window double click on Storage.
In the big window double click on Disk Management(Local)

If your external drive shows up here, in Black, then all you need to do is partition and format the external drive to be able to use it.

Hmm, bummer. Well I guess I can store my stuff on a friend's Mac and then transfer it with a flash drive or summat.

How would I go about making partitions on my computer?

Thanks for the help so far, by the way. :)

Hmm, bummer. Well I guess I can store my stuff on a friend's Mac and then transfer it with a flash drive or summat.

How would I go about making partitions on my computer?

Thanks for the help so far, by the way. :)

how big are the files...? if they are small (less than 1MB), you should be able to email them to your email address from a MAC (your friend's...?) and then download them from your email using your PC later, though it'll take a long time if there are a lot of files...

if the files are big (too big to email), I have no idea...

Back
Top Bottom