Overheating problems

mstaten

Solid State Member
I'm a new member and this is my first post so if it sounds a bit n00bish, please spare me the flames...

About a month ago I built my own computer. I had a few friends who did it and said it worked out well for them (and much, much cheaper than ordering a Dell equivalent) so I decided to try my hand at it. I know a few things about computers and found out the rest as I put mine together, but I've run into a bit of a problem in the last couple of weeks.

My computer was designed for performance, mainly for gaming. My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus motherboard
1.5 gigabytes DDR-SDRAM
XFX GeForce FX 5900 128mb
80 gigabyte HDD
52x/32x/52x CD-RW
16x DVD-ROM
blah, blah, blah

Anyway, my problem is that when trying to run my mobo at anything over 100mhz bus, my CPU gets too hot and shuts down. You see, my mobo has an ABR (anti-burn regulator) and when the CPU heats up to 85 degrees C, it automatically shuts down to prevent any damage to the CPU. I've found that I can prevent the system lockup when running at 100mhz bus speed but that severely limits my performance, which is what this system is designed for.

Anyway, right now my CPU runs at around 105-109 degrees F on average at 100mhz bus speed and I really need to make it cooler to run at a higher bus. I was hoping you guys would have some suggestions. Inexpensive would be best but I'm really open to anything. Thanks!

-Matt Staten

Did you put some nice silver thermal paste on the heatsink? Is it firm and against the cpu correctly?

I don't know about the silver part of the thermal paste, but I did use the paste that came with the motherboard, yes, and yes, the fan is seated on the cpu firmly and properly. The only thing I can think of is that the fan, when I bought it, said "cools up to 2800+" so maybe I should step up to a fan with a higher maximum range?

Yeh i'd recommend a good make such as... coolermaster and such. MAybe one that cools up to 3400+? But still it should go this high... You could always try it and get back to us!

I think a simple one would do, but if you want a nice on like that it does have some benifits. Cools alot better/ and most likely quieter.

Alright, well, thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be posting on here soon again...

kk, good luck with the problem. :D please do get back to the forum!

funny, I overclocked my amd 2000+ to 2.0 Ghz(2400+ overclocked) and and it is still warm...I dont even know which fan i have? iM afraid to open the case and see... I like my computer very much

sesar said:
I'm a new member and this is my first post so if it sounds a bit n00bish, please spare me the flames...

About a month ago I built my own computer. I had a few friends who did it and said it worked out well for them (and much, much cheaper than ordering a Dell equivalent) so I decided to try my hand at it. I know a few things about computers and found out the rest as I put mine together, but I've run into a bit of a problem in the last couple of weeks.

My computer was designed for performance, mainly for gaming. My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus motherboard
1.5 gigabytes DDR-SDRAM
XFX GeForce FX 5900 128mb
80 gigabyte HDD
52x/32x/52x CD-RW
16x DVD-ROM
blah, blah, blah

Anyway, my problem is that when trying to run my mobo at anything over 100mhz bus, my CPU gets too hot and shuts down. You see, my mobo has an ABR (anti-burn regulator) and when the CPU heats up to 85 degrees C, it automatically shuts down to prevent any damage to the CPU. I've found that I can prevent the system lockup when running at 100mhz bus speed but that severely limits my performance, which is what this system is designed for.

Anyway, right now my CPU runs at around 105-109 degrees F on average at 100mhz bus speed and I really need to make it cooler to run at a higher bus. I was hoping you guys would have some suggestions. Inexpensive would be best but I'm really open to anything. Thanks!

-Matt Staten
You said anything right ?
Your not ready for this yet.
You must have figured that out so get some help understanding and useing all that stuff you bought.
It's good stuff if installed right.
:D

Back
Top Bottom