Overclocking your CPU, How to do it easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Pentium D @ 2.8 Ghz, and before I jump in to speed it up, i would lik eto know a few things:

1. My dad says overclocking under any circumstance will dramaticly shorten the life of a cpu.

2. I have an ASrock G43 775 motherboard, from a custom build, but the Cpu came out of an HP Stock computer, can I still over clock it?

3. If my cpu runs at about 95F, how much can I over clock it?

4. I don't know the exact speed of my memory, but I think its around DDR2 266- 550mhz or somthing.

This so called guide is way off base.
Here are the basics to get started.

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showthread.php/faq_overclocking_101-1985/index.html

I wouldn't say "off base", but outdated. It's four years old lol.

I have a Pentium D @ 2.8 Ghz, and before I jump in to speed it up, i would lik eto know a few things:

1. My dad says overclocking under any circumstance will dramaticly shorten the life of a cpu.

2. I have an ASrock G43 775 motherboard, from a custom build, but the Cpu came out of an HP Stock computer, can I still over clock it?

3. If my cpu runs at about 95F, how much can I over clock it?

4. I don't know the exact speed of my memory, but I think its around DDR2 266- 550mhz or somthing.

1. Only true if your cooling sucks and you crank voltages to dangerously high levels. I run my overclocked hardware for at least a year before upgrading and I expect them to run much longer. I've only lost one motherboard to overclocking, and that was due to my ignorance. (don't run max northbridge voltage 24/7, especially on stock cooling.)

2. The only option a CPU can limit is the multiplier. All other options (FSB, RAM dividers, voltages, etc.) are determined by your motherboard.

3. Use Celsius, it's pretty much the standard for measuring the temperature of computer components. That's 35C, which is pretty low. What you need to do is find load temperatures, which is what really matters. Use something like Prime95 and HWMonitor or CoreTemp to watch your temps. Keep it under 100% load for at least ten minutes unless you start to hit dangerous levels. Pentiums 4/Ds are known to run hot, so I'd cut it off if it hit around 60-65C.

4. DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so you divide the DDRII rate by 2. DDRII 266=133 Mhz, which is what you'll see in CPU-Z.

Ahh...the wonderful overclock, too bad I can't overclock my prebuilt system :(....wait....damn a thread from 2006.

built my computer.. i intentionally bought the AMD64 X2 5000+ Black edition.. black edition means the multiplier is unlocked.. because of this it was quite easy for me to reach 3ghz from my stock 2.6ghz
as a bonus it is only a 65w processor at stock settings. my multiplier is stock at 13.. i am able to bump it up to 14.5 safely without any instability. at 15 it will not post unless i tweak voltages. so to be extra safe and stable i brought it back down to 14x instead of 14.5 so i can put faith in it.

What is the percentage of an overclock succeeding? I am considering doing it for one of my friends who has a slow computer, but want to know the probability I have of doing it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom