Overclocking... need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done most of that, but I still need to get a separate hard drive for a page file; maybe I'll do that today. Assuming I get one, is it as simple as going into the page file settings and clicking something like "Location: D drive", or are there additional things I'll need to do?

Cool, I looked at it a few months ago... obviously, I need a refresher course.

So I got the BCLK stable at 154 and 64 degrees max. I moved it up to 158 BCLK and got the following results with LinX:
VCore 1.29375, crash at 3:16, 66 degrees
VCore 1.3, crash at approximately 1 minute (I forgot to write the exact numbers down)
VCore 1.30625, crash at 8:09, 66 degrees
VCore 1.3125, crash at 8:03, 66 degrees
VCore 1.31875, crash at 8:13, 66 degrees
VCore 1.325, crash at 16:31, 68 degrees
VCore 1.33125, crash at 5:46, 71 degrees

Is it weird that the time went WAY down with that last VCore adjustment? Is there something else I should be changing? If not, I'm going to have to back down a notch, because it is hitting over 70 degrees. Are there ways to lower the heat, for example, would you possibly get different temps if you jacked up the multiplier instead of the BCLK, or is it all the same in the end?

Finally, when should I start adjusting the memory multiplier? My memory is only at 1580 with a 158 BCLK, so there's a lot of headroom to 2000.

Took things down a notch and got it stable at BCLK of 151 and a x26 multiplier, so it was at 3.92 GHz; with the VCore bumped up to 1.30625V, I was able to do 20 minutes of LinX; temps maxed at 65 degrees.

So, for the time being, I'm happy with those numbers. I'm probably going to get some more powerful fans eventually (I went for the quietest ones, but it turns out that the water cooling pumps are noisy enough that I could probably get much more powerful fans, and they'd still be drowned out by the pumps), but for now this keeps things under 70 degrees. So I figured it was time to jack up the memory. I played around with some different settings, and the easiest way to get a similar CPU frequency with a memory speed of 2000 is to set the BCLK at 125 with a multiplier of 31 (3.87 GHz), the uncore at 4000 (x32) and the memory at 2000 (x16). I changed the latencies to 9-9-9-24-74-2, then rebooted. I basically got nothing on reboot... I looked at the error code on the motherboard display, and it looks like it is stopping at the part where it tries to recognize the memory. What do I need to change to get this thing to post?

The memory controller is built into the CPU so as you raise your memory speed your basically lowering your cpu's ability to overclock. If you want to run your memory at 2000MHz then you must be prepared to do so at a lower CPU clock speed.

If you want to try and run your CPU at/or close to 4GHz and have the Memory running at/or close to 2000MHz then your going to have to raise the CPU VTT Voltage up to the 1.5v range and you may need to also bump up the CPU VCore by another notch or 2.

I recommend running your CPU as fast as it will go with your Memory in the 1600MHz range. This is the "Sweet" spot for the i7 as it will give you the best combination of speeds for the Best Performance.

Ah... didn't know they were linked that tightly.

You had given me the proper latencies for 1500; are they the same for 1600?

Thanks!

Is 37CFM pretty low for a 120mm fan? Those are the ones I'm currently using on my radiator... I was going specifically for quiet, which may have been a poor choice.

They should run at 1600MHz with these settings
  • tCL Setting (8)
  • tRCD Setting (8)
  • tRP Setting (8)
  • tRAS Setting (24)
  • tRFC Setting (74)
  • Command Rate (2)

if it was me, instead of trying to get the memory to run at 2000MHz, I would try running them at 1600MHz with these settings
  • tCL Setting (7)
  • tRCD Setting (7)
  • tRP Setting (7)
  • tRAS Setting (21)
  • tRFC Setting (54)
  • Command Rate (1)

They may not run at those speeds without raising the CPU VTT Voltage to the 1.4v range and then they may not run at those speeds no matter what you do. But if they just don't like those speeds you can try changing the tRFC back up to 72-74 and the Command Rate back to 2. Keep your eyes on your temperatures, I would keep them limited to the low 70's.

A medium speed fan would be in the 50-60 cfm range. I would buy some HI-Speed fans, 100+ cfm, and a fan controller. Then you could easily adjust the fan speed to noise level to fit your needs.

A medium speed fan would be in the 50-60 cfm range. I would buy some HI-Speed fans, 100+ cfm, and a fan controller. Then you could easily adjust the fan speed to noise level to fit your needs.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking getting those, given that I already have a good fan controller... d'oh! I'm going to duck responsibility and blame it on the guy that took my order lol. I'll order some new ones... I even saw some on frozencpu that went into the 200s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom