Overclocking my new AM2 6000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Lihp

Baseband Member
Hey guys.

Wondering if you could help me out. I'm kinda new to the overclocking scene.
I've been doing a lot of research on the internet r.e. overclocking, and I know it all revolves around the FSB, memory speed, memory timings, HT timings, etc.

O.K. So, first I'll list my current spec. I've managed to overclock to 10% with success. When I try more than that, windows refuses to boot, or when it does, it becomes unstable. I beleive this is because I need to alter other variables.

O.K, so, I have:

AMD AM2 CPU 6000+. Currently overclocked to 3.3GHz.

When at this speed, it idles between 28 degrees C and 32 degrees C. When at load, its between 34 and 38 degrees C. This is all thanks to my new Swiftech ultra liquid cooling kit, so clearly, there is room for further overclocking with temperatures this low.

RAM is Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, with timings of 4,4,4,12.

Motherboard is the M2N32-SLI Deluxe.

I've been looking over the internet and can't seem to find any tables to help suggest compatable FSB / RAM speeds. As I say i'm quite new to this overclocking, so any light anyone could shed here would be great.

If anyone needs any more info, i'll be happy to supply :)
Thanks for the help in advance.

P.S, on a side not, but not as important, I was wondering as to how to overclock a GPU. Mine is already factory overclocked, the BFG nVidia 7900GTX OC'd. But, if possible to further overclock, this would be great.

Attachments

• fgdfgfg.jpg
    fgdfgfg.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 245
  • temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 236
  • cpu z.jpg
    cpu z.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 243
lower your ht multi to 4. this will kep your ht link (see cpuz) under 1000.
lower your ram to ddr2-667. this will keep you from overclocking your ram too much.
make sure you have enough voltage to your ram. HZ will need 2.2v to run those timings.
actually, you may try loosening your timings to 5-5-5-12. i would lower the speed first.
try these things and report back heh.

O.k, thanks for the help guys :)

So, I did what you said, I lowered the HT Multiplier to 4, increased CPU Voltage to 1.5V, lowered RAM frequency to 667MHz, and then bumped up the FSB to 230 resulting in 3.45GHz per core, which successfully loads into windows and appears stable.

Temperatures are now lingering at about 36-37 degrees C and at load go to 42-45 degrees C at most.

I tried upping the FSB Further to 235, it loaded windows, but as it got to the log-in screen, I recieved the blue screen of death due to "memory management".

So, I tried fiddling with RAM settings. Put latencies up to 5,5,5,12, but still same effect.
I considered bumping up the voltage to 2.2V, but that seems a little high? :S

Cheers :)

Attachments

• cpuz 2.jpg
    cpuz 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 190

So, I did what you said, I lowered the HT Multiplier to 4, increased CPU Voltage to 1.5V, lowered RAM frequency to 667MHz, and then bumped up the FSB to 230 resulting in 3.45GHz per core, which successfully loads into windows and appears stable.

Temperatures are now lingering at about 36-37 degrees C and at load go to 42-45 degrees C at most.

I tried upping the FSB Further to 235, it loaded windows, but as it got to the log-in screen, I recieved the blue screen of death due to "memory management".

So, I tried fiddling with RAM settings. Put latencies up to 5,5,5,12, but still same effect.

Try running Prime95 and see how stable it is

Also, DDR2 RAM can go up to a max of about 2.4V if you're going to run it 24/7

Nothing to do with your question but very nice rig, just need a 8800GTX or a new 9800 when there out ;)

gskill HZ need at least 2.2V to run at speeds over stock. some people get them to run (supposedly) at high overclocks with less than that, but i have personally never been able to do it. apokalipse says it can take 2.4, but i have read that D9s do not like that high of voltage, as they are more sensitive than the promos to voltage. i just read that, i'm not going to swear to it. but i haven't given my HZ more than 2.225 in any event, nor am i likely to. although, gskill will replace them if you overvolt a little and they fry, so maybe i will.
your temps are good, but you are reaching the operating ceiling for your cpu. i wouldn't expect you to get much higher, but you have it at like 3.5....so thats pretty good.
although, i would like for you to post a cpuz screen of the memory tab, so i can see the cpu divider and ram speed with it set to ddr2 667 (im not that familiar with the dividers for 6000). please post that.

also, you may try to lower the ram speed even further to ddr2 533 and see what happens. but a t ddr2 677, you should be below stock....which is why i want to see the screenshot of cpuz. you may have your cpu maxed. probably ram related, though. it ususally is, i find.
post those shots and we'll see what we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom